Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Sickening way to go out of the championship yesterday. It’s one thing being beaten by a better side but I really feel Cork left that behind them yesterday. We weren’t at the races from the word go and the whole thing stunk of flatness. That goes for the atmosphere at the stadium too, the 1:30 throw in on a Saturday was a shambles and I wouldn’t want to see it again.

Was delighted for Alan Cadogan, he’s had a torrid time with injuries but has been a great servant to Cork.
On Hoggie, I did think it was the right call to drop him myself. Unfortunately for management Lehane had an off day on the frees (Free taking was poor in 2nd game too) so only blew up the decision more. If Hoggie does step away then what a hurler, a real shame he never got his hands on Liam but has carried us on his back for so long.

Looking ahead to next year are we are risk of another transition period?
Cahalane
Harnedy
Lehane
Cadogan
Hoggie
All involved yesterday and all potential retirements?
If he can put injuries behind him, should be another year or two in Cads. Still only 28 and showed up very well when brought on yesterday.

If he can put injuries behind him, should be another year or two in Cads. Still only 28 and showed up very well when brought on yesterday.
Another super sub type player going forward rather then a starter. He would have been eaten by Limericks full back line but then again all our forwards would have been.

I would hope whoever is at the helm next season makes actual use of the league and starts blooding younger lads. Lads like Tommy O Connell have racked up only a few handful of minutes all season and he'd be one of the lucky ones to get game time. Some subs have been warming the bench all year.

The utter delusion here, "Cahalane should be tried at midfield next year" "another few years in cads" . All these players should be cleared out along with the 30 and over brigade. Mgmt should be gone, all of them, you have a minor and 2 u20 teams that are there, get someone in and give him 3 years and stop this charade of Nostalgia and Romanticism. Nobody gives a fuck its "Cork" anymore. We are a 2nd rate outfit. We have been moving the chairs around for 10 years and fellas here STILL "yerra try this fella in this position next year" . Watch the club championships and ask yourself how many of these fellas actually dominate a club game.

I would hope whoever is at the helm next season makes actual use of the league and starts blooding younger lads. Lads like Tommy O Connell have racked up only a few handful of minutes all season and he'd be one of the lucky ones to get game time. Some subs have been warming the bench all year.
Kingston has brought in Connolly, Joyce, O Connor Barrett and starting to bring in Tommy. At least 3 likely to be starters next year. Blooding players and bedding them in is one of the things he has shown aptitude at. Unless they are exceptional you can't throw a load of kids in raw. It's easier to damage prospects by throwing them in too fast.

The utter delusion here, "Cahalane should be tried at midfield next year" "another few years in cads" . All these players should be cleared out along with the 30 and over brigade. Mgmt should be gone, all of them, you have a minor and 2 u20 teams that are there, get someone in and give him 3 years and stop this charade of Nostalgia and Romanticism. Nobody gives a fuck its "Cork" anymore. We are a 2nd rate outfit. We have been moving the chairs around for 10 years and fellas here STILL "yerra try this fella in this position next year" . Watch the club championships and ask yourself how many of these fellas actually dominate a club game.
You're some tiresome bore. Smell of Limerick off you.
How many of the U20s that Kingston hasn't tried are dominating club games? Even if they were our club scene is shit.
Cahalane was one of our best players yesterday but you'll ignore that of course.
Any chance you'd just fuck off and bring that Red & Blue dinosaur creep with you.

Irrespective of a win or loss Limerick won’t be worrying too much whether it was us or Galway next time out
I agree but that isn’t the point. An AI QF was there to be won and we left it behind us, If nothing more these big championship games will stand to the younger lads in trying to built towards success in the coming years. This notion of we are better of losing now than facing Limerick is absolutely pathetic.

Ben O’Connor is a no-brainer for me. I know Lehane had a bad day yesterday but he added more to his game in a year with Ben than he did under 4 or 5 Cork hurling managers. If he could get a similar tune out of the Shane Kingstons, Barretts and Jack O’Connors then you’d be onto something.

Would like to see more of the Roches, Daire Connery and Padraig Power next year too.

I’d favour a clean slate on the line to be honest. There’s a bit of a merry go round with 6 or 7 lads for the last 10 years who have got us up to a level where we’re consistently competitive but is someone like Meyler, Furlong, Donal O’Mahony or whoever going to pull the rabbit from the hat that turns us from dark horses to a championship team? I think all have a lot more to offer Cork in the fullness of time but there’s a sense that something new is required.

Whoever the next manager is should be left at it and given whatever they need for 3 years and given accountability to stop the famine going into a third decade. Reading that would give you a chill down the spine.

We need to sort out our forwards big time. They basically all misfired together yesterday. Still would worry about the balance and their ability to win ball(especially dirty ball). Retirements will force our hand somewhat but guys like Connolly and Tim should form part of foundation going forward - they and others need to step up on yesterday.

Kingston has brought in Connolly, Joyce, O Connor Barrett and starting to bring in Tommy. At least 3 likely to be starters next year. Blooding players and bedding them in is one of the things he has shown aptitude at. Unless they are exceptional you can't throw a load of kids in raw. It's easier to damage prospects by throwing them in too fast.
Barrett I will give him credit for but there was little to nothing to do with Connolly and Joyce. Connolly was tearing clubs apart at 18 and sure Joyce is as good a young prospect in years. If anything Connolly has been fucked around not been given time until a few games ago and Joyce having to start at 5 or corner back was clueless too.

Exactly, they can't be thrown in which is why the fail safe environment of the league is where they should be playing. Gone are the days of "flying it in training"

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Outsound,oghma, Even Angels, Shadows Calling

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼