Cork Hurlers - Part 2

My aul lad is over from England. He's 89 and only ever gets hurling matches on the wireless.

He's one of these folk who believe that the game is better now than it ever was.

He made me rewind a pick up by Lehane 3 times
so he could be absolutely sure he understood what he saw.

Between him and Fitzgibbon he was buzzing. We won't watch too many more matches together, so Lehane's show today was something that will stay with me for a while.

I know the one you mean. His skill under pressure was something else today.

His build up play deserves a mention too, he laid off some wonderful ball today.

He's answered all his critics this year.

Too many positives to pick up on, fantastic day out in Thurles. Kingston's workrate was absolutely unbelievable, he's all over the pitch working. Exactly the tone to be setting.

I love Joyce as a defender, but sometimes he plays some head scratching passes, gave away 3-4 today from memory for no reason

I was critical of Coleman & Fitz vs Limerick & Clare. I though both were bloody brilliant today.

Fitz workrate was quality. His goal and assist for TOM goal, excellent. What an engine this fella has.

Coleman hurled an ocean of ball, his touch and striking top class, one or 2 tippy tappy moments but he played outstanding for me.

I'm thrilled to see the work rate of the wing forward line, ROF & SK worked their ass off and made a number of turnovers. Lehane was different gravy today.

Connelly excellent full forward, his goal, which we really needed, was top drawer. Even if he dosnt win the ball, he gets the hurley or leg in, no easy defensive clearance.

Good to see, Barrett & JOC play well when introduced, nice confidence boosters. Also O Connell.

Harnedy's leadership is showing more and more, great to see it. He gave out to SK in the first half and thanked Barrett for an assist in the 2nd half.

Well done to the players, mgmt and all involved today.

One of the best goals ever not a mention on the SG Brillant ball in from Tommy O Connell , fitz to Tim magic goal !
A flashback to the Kevin Hennessy , John Fitz , IBM type goals ! Cork s type goals ....Collins s saves and Alan Connolly s goal great memorys from todays game .

Absolutely thrilled with our new lease of life. It was only last Sunday morning I was on the road to Walsh Park with a sense of dread that we were not alone going to get beaten but get eaten alive again. Massive kudos to all involved for the turn around in the season.

On the game today I think it's very important to point out first and foremost that Tipp were a complete shambles. Completely disorganised and physically looked weak. It was boys against men. In saying that Cork had a job to do and did it well.

First 10 minutes was a disaster. Thought Rob Downey was in the horrors. Sean O Donaghue made a very rare mistake and we couldn't keep tabs on Jason Forde (indeed I thought he was excellent throughout). Then our long ball in was aimless and mainly towards Hoggie which made no sense so my heart was on the floor when Tipp got awarded their penalty. Then what a turnaround.

Collins save was outstanding (another great one in the second half) Meade (I think) picks up the break and 10 seconds later young Connolly rattles the net with a goal of sheer class. While this was going on Cahalane and Rob Downey were being told to swap positions and in that 60 seconds the game turned. Both guys were excellent thereafter despite a few clumsy frees late on from Damien.

What's great to see now is Cork players like Fitzgibbon, Kingston, Connolly going straight through the heart of defences. Conor Lehanes 8 points will deservedly be talked up but I thought his workrate again was a joy to watch. He dispossessed numerous Tip players, got in hooks, got in blocks. Ran into rucks. Then added his usual sprinkling of magic. He's playing the best hurling of his career and would no longer appear to be a "fancy Dan" as a colleague from Tipp once described him to me as. He will get special attention going forward methinks.

I thought Meade worked his backside off again and Ciaran Joyce is revelling in the center back role which in turn is allowing Coleman the freedom to star.

There's still a lot to work on. I thought we got caught between two stools on numerous occasions between tippy tappy and going long. The gameplan isn't fully ingrained in the players yet but we have 3 weeks now to further improve it and have a say yet.

Tim O Mahoney had a big impact again. Is he recovering from an infection or is he injured or what's going on because he needs to start in my opinon. I still believe Hoggy would be better utilised finishing a game these days.
Incredible week.
headed down to Walsh Park with trepidation to be honest but what a win that was. A few moments have stood out in the last few games regarding the fans. The first was all the Cork support chanting 'Oh to be a Rebel' as the ref was sounding the final whistle last week. The ovation that Hoggie got today when he was being subbed was spine tingling stuff...anyone who was in the 'Old Stand' will know what I'm talking about...Lehane got a great ovation too. However the most classy was the ovation given to Cathal Barret when he came off injured.

You have been posting nonsense on here for years. A complete spoofer. It's little wonder that the Barrs is only a football club now with clueless idiots like you around
No need for that. As much as it goes against everything in my dna to defend a Barrs man, he was spot on about Cork earlier in this championship. Tbh I would listen to him before a sunshine supporter like yourself. :ROFLMAO:

Incredible week.
headed down to Walsh Park with trepidation to be honest but what a win that was. A few moments have stood out in the last few games regarding the fans. The first was all the Cork support chanting 'Oh to be a Rebel' as the ref was sounding the final whistle last week. The ovation that Hoggie got today when he was being subbed was spine tingling stuff...anyone who was in the 'Old Stand' will know what I'm talking about...Lehane got a great ovation too. However the most classy was the ovation given to Cathal Barret when he came off injured.
I was in the opposite stand and it was incredible to see this big red wall rise to salute Hoggie as he came off the field.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Dea Matrona
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

18th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Inspiration The Poor Relation (Open Mic Night)

The Welcome Inn, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼