Minor Hurling 2022

Is it right to be changing Minor manager every year? Would a 2-3 year term be the way to go?

Also there are alot of ex Cork players getting jobs as Cork selectors with not alot of management experience.
Donal Og got the minor job in 2020 based on what? And gone back to punditry.

2020 Donal Og - 2021 Furlong - 2022 Murray - 2023 Kieran Murphy??
Keeping the same manager from U14 up to minor is in effect having the same manager for 3 years as it is roughly the same group of players, and probably makes more sense than giving the minor manager a 3 year term. Of course it shouldn't be automatic and an out is needed if the manager isn't getting results or getting on with players etc.

And what happens when the chemistry is missing between them? A managers job is hard enough without having to worry about things going pearshape in his management set up. I think there’s a bit of that going on in our seniors right now
Should we not have a manager for 3 years who each year is assisted by the team from the u16 etc.

I highlighted the unecessary changes to the right side of the Cork defence before the game but the evidence was there for us all to see on Tuesday night. The Clare centre-forward played left half-forward and although he only scored about 2 points from play he did wreck on Tadhg O'Leary-Hayes. The Midleton youngster had done good enough v Limerick at corner-back and it should have been a case of leave well alone for Tuesday night.

I also highlighted the demotion of Stephen Lynam by this management which has proven to be a disgrace. Any management can drop a player from a team to the bench if the player shows a loss of form but this management brought him on v Limerick to a system that fed him with no decent ball bar one and then the management decided to drop him further to the extended panel. The management obviously never believed in an inside forward who could score but instead had a system of an inter-change between 2 Youghal forwards namely James Murray and Jayden Casey because they posessed a higher workrate and covered more ground than Lynam. Ulltimately this affected the Youghal players, robbed Lynam of his place and robbed Cork of a proper inside scoring forward. I would have started Stephen Lynam instead of Jayden Casey as Casey is there next year anyway and I would have Lynam playing as close to goal as possible. There was always an option of moving Ross O'Sullivan or Sean O'Donoghue to the half line when James Murray struggled in 2 positions on the night. I wouldn't even question the management if Lynam was on the bench and intoduced instead of John Wigginton-Barrett, the management went with Barrett because again he does more running but has less hurling than Lynam. Last years Premier 1 County semi-final should be enough evidence for Paudie Murray and his colleagues and Lynam repeated his performance that day in the final.

Timmy Wilk could have been left mid-field where he played challenge games most of the year or moved to the half-back where he is most effective. Michael O'Driscoll was a loss and left a void the selectors felt Wilk could only fill but Wilk is not over 6' tall and not a ball winner in that department. What did Eoin O'Mahony do wrong v Kerry to be not considered for wing-forward in the last 2 games?

There were problems created by the management that militated against Cork before a ball was struck but the push-ups done for about 5 minutes in the warm-up were farcical when hardly a ball was struck at goal to practice accuracy hence Cork had 9 wides in 16 minutes and 21 wides over the hour.

I wonder does Cork93 agree with me now? This year is history but hopefully next year we will be back to hurling and the rocket science bull will be cut out.

I wonder does Cork93 agree with me now? This year is history but hopefully next year we will be back to hurling and the rocket science bull will be cut out.
Hindsight is a great thing isn’t it?

Jack O’Neill is one of the best minor hurlers in the country and I’ve no doubt Seán Ahern would have had the same amount of issues marking him. That’s the lowest O’Neill has contributed in any game for Clare this year so I don’t think leary hayes did too badly at all, o neill was taken off and everything.

As for Lynam, they obviously have their reasons. Sadly club form at 16 years old doesn’t always translate perfectly onto an inter county scene. We have people complaining about the lack of workrate/covering ground at senior level yet here you are preaching for the opposite because it suits your agenda.

If you’re picking your team based on a club minor semi final from 12 months ago then what hope does any team have? You pick the panel off this. You then pick the team off of inter county training/10-15 inter county matches they played together throughout the year. I’m sure if you asked management directly after the minor club championship last year they would have said he would be a certainty to start.

There is enough experienced coaches involved in that minor setup to get to know fellas, so obviously there is an issue there if lynam isn’t getting picked.

Didn’t think Eoin O’Mahony was great against a poor Kerry side. He was one of the players taken off I’m sure?

Wilk had a good first half, but Clare adjusted and dealt with him in the 2nd. He probably should have been moved then to get him back into the game.

Hit 15 wides instead of 20 and we would be talking about how this cork minor team are great and the next big thing.

Just as a general response to lot of this thread, people need to relax and understand these lads are 15/16/17 years old, they are kids. They weren’t the best bunch coming through from what I’ve heard, but I thought they gave a good account of themselves overall, and unlucky not to progress further. Management got what, 6 months with them in total? and they’re being scapegoated too.

Hopefully some of these players will progress onto an u20 panel next year, and the rest will hurl well for their clubs and schools going forward. Hopefully lads who didn’t make match day panels will use it as fuel to make an u20 or senior team in the future. Hopefully the coaches involved will continue to give up their time to try and better cork hurling.

I agree with the issues at senior level, but Christ we have had a successful couple of years at minor and u20 level. People need to stop overanalysing where there isn’t a need to. Cork aren’t going to win all Irelands at every grade every year.

Cork93

One of the best in the country is a great phrase, you can say the same about Ross O'Sullivan, Timmy Wilk, Oisin Whelan, Pierce Connery, Darren Collopy, Damien Corbett, Jack Twomey and Cian Neylon among others in the Munster Championship alone.

It's not about Jack O'Neill v Sean Aherne, it's about the right side of the defence totally changed and the obvious weaker side left untouched from the Limerick game. If the management had identified Jack O'Neill as the danger man before the Clare game they should have acted earlier with the option of Timmy Wilk, Daniel Murnane or James O'Brien to mark him. Tadhg O'Leary-Hayes got worse after O'Neill went off, the ball he sent wide which should have been a good ball to the inside line as Cork were in trouble and chasing the game was terrible stuff but at this level he was only accustomed to 2 games at corner-back beforehand.

Eoin O'Mahony scored 2 points v Kerry, what did Jayden Casey score? I know Casey only scored 1 point v a poor Limerick side. As I stated here Casey should be next year's player. As others stated here there was no player around 6' on the Cork team. O'Mahony is 6' and he has a physical presence but the management went with pace just like the senior management.

Regarding Stephen Lynam I acknowledged players can lose form and be dropped but this would not be a 6 month issue. The situation with Lynam is that the management weren't going with him because of workrate but the other night Cork needed an inside forward that made the ball stick and could score, Lynam fits the bill. However the type of Micro Management that folk on here have referred to states Lynam has no part to play in the squad. You're forgetting Lynam's Man of the Match performance in the County final and both semi and final were played within 6 months and not 12 months as you're stating. You state it suits my agenda, well tell me what is my agenda because I can tell you I have no agenda but what I've seen.

Are you telling me that Cork only had 6 wides from the 16th minute to the end of the game? The guy next to me said in the 1st half Cork had 9 wides by the 16th minute and in that period and the 1st minute of the second half was where the game was blown. That's what the papers also reported and 21 wides in the entire game. You'll get it all on-line!

A huge factor in Cork winning 2 U-20 AI's is down to good management, remember most of those players struggled at minor under poor management before Pat Ryan & Wayne Sherlock came on board. Last year's minors were a group that won everything from Tony Forristal up and some credit goes to Noel Furlong and Co. but how players like John Ahern (Kiltha Og) and Ross Browne (Blackrock) were not involved is mind boggling.

The management/coaching and selecting of this year's squad was poor as the style of hurling was same as the senior rubbish and the evidence was there for all to see last Tuesday night.

Last edited:
Cork93

One of the best in the country is a great phrase, you can say the same about Ross O'Sullivan, Timmy Wilk, Oisin Whelan, Pierce Connery, Darren Collopy, Damien Corbett, Jack Twomey and Cian Neylon among others in the Munster Championship alone.

It's not about Jack O'Neill v Sean Aherne, it's about the right side of the defence totally changed and the obvious weaker side left untouched from the Limerick game. If the management had identified Jack O'Neill as the danger man before the Clare game they should have acted earlier with the option of Timmy Wilk, Daniel Murnane or James O'Brien to mark him. Tadhg O'Leary-Hayes got worse after O'Neill went off, the ball he sent wide which should have been a good ball to the inside line as Cork were in trouble and chasing the game was terrible stuff but at this level he was only accustomed to 2 games at corner-back beforehand.

Eoin O'Mahony scored 2 points v Kerry, what did Jayden Casey score? I know Casey only scored 1 point v a poor Limerick side. As I stated here Casey should be next year's player. As others stated here there was no player around 6' on the Cork team. O'Mahony is 6' and he has a physical presence but the management went with pace just like the senior management.

Regarding Stephen Lynam I acknowledged players can lose form and be dropped but this would not be a 6 month issue. The situation with Lynam is that the management weren't going with him because of workrate but the other night Cork needed an inside forward that made the ball stick and could score, Lynam fits the bill. However the type of Micro Management that folk on here have referred to states Lynam has no part to play in the squad. You're forgetting Lynam's Man of the Match performance in the County final and both semi and final were played within 6 months and not 12 months as you're stating. You state it suits my agenda, well tell me what is my agenda because I can tell you I have no agenda but what I've seen.

Are you telling me that Cork only had 6 wides from the 16th minute to the end of the game? The guy next to me said in the 1st half Cork had 9 wides by the 16th minute and in that period and the 1st minute of the second half was where the game was blown. That's what the papers also reported and 21 wides in the entire game. You'll get it all on-line!

A huge factor in Cork winning 2 U-20 AI's is down to good management, remember most of those players struggled at minor under poor management before Pat Ryan & Wayne Sherlock came on board. Last year's minors were a group that won everything from Tony Forristal up and some credit goes to Noel Furlong and Co. but how players like John Ahern (Kiltha Og) and Ross Browne (Blackrock) were not involved is mind boggling.

The management/coaching and selecting of this year's squad was poor as the style of hurling was same as the senior rubbish and the evidence was there for all to see last Tuesday night.
Corkonian, could you lay off naming and shaming young fellas, they are only 16/17 year olds

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

In Da F House

Levis Corner House, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼