Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Nobody said that. I made an observation on how I see things going. You keep the head in the sand so bud, we all live in hope I suppose....

I think saying we have no chance against Limerick or Waterford off the back of shipping a few goals this evening is kneejerk, hysterical stuff.

I've seen nothing from any of our opponents this year to suggest we wont be in the mix for the All Ireland.

The most worrying thing tonight was how easily our defence was split for the goals especially when Wexford, who topped our division, suffered THE EXACT SAME thing 6 days ago. I naively thought 'well Kingston will make sure that won't happen against us'.

The second most worrying thing is that last year our big break through was that we were scoring goals regularly or at least threatening them all the time. Jack O'Connor seemed to be unstoppable. That threat appears to be largely gone.

There are positives for sure, like Joyce, Mellerick, Barrett etc but some of the older players have gone off the boil. Until we get the young, old and in between all firing at the same time we can forget about going all the way.

One thing to remember is that the Munster championship is a league and not straight knock out. Doesn't seem like everyone here knows that.
Oh ffs.

Agree with all of the above. Coleman is not a 6, cleaned tonight and by Lynch in All Ireland final. Joyce while very young, is our best option at 6 to shore up our defense. He did this job so well in the 2 u20 winning teams. Fitz had a great league, was poor tonight at with little work rate. I'm a fan of Fitz, but did he hook or block anyone tonight? i'm not sure. Bar Kingston, the bench impact wasnt great, was hoping for more from JOC.
If the Al against Limerick was not enough evidence to the management that Coleman won’t do at CB surely this will but you never know. Joyce is an incredible hurler would have no fear of him at 6 and the only option.We could have had the league to try Fitzy at CF and find a decent MF partnership alongside Coleman but it is what it is. We’re not that far off it with a few tweaks, no need to get the knickers in a twist.

Initia thoughts

We are miles off the standard required, we have no physicality, no desire, no directness or speed to our play and it doesn’t give me any pleasure to say this, no tactical awareness on the line

How any bunch of selectors could leave Ciaran Joyce stuck left corner back for the entire game is beyond me. A simple supporter like me (and others) highlighted this since the team was announced yet our selectors just left him there?

Which brings me nicely to our center back, fabulous hurler but a luxury we just cannot afford, especially when the best center back, a real center back, is stuck in corner back

Mark Keane, no world beater but exactly the type of player we need, and funnily enough exactly the type Waterford look for and develop, left sat on the bench looking at that ineptness up front and he gets the call with 8 minutes to go. In that 8 minutes he done more than some of them done for 70 minutes

If ye can’t tell I’m disgusted, not because we lost, but because we have drifted back to the usual mickying around with the ball with no ability or desire to actually compete for it. That first half in Limerick was an apparition, a one off apparition, we are incapable of repeating it and are doomed for the year

One other thing, put your money on Waterford for the all ireland, a real team with real options and a ruthless manager who knows exactly what he wants

I thought the biggest issue tonight was the game plan of trying handpass the ball up the field from the 20m line, this involved passing the ball to players who were marked tightly and also stationary, Waterford had all the time in the world to get their defence set in the event we managed to get past midfield, too many passes when the forwards were in good positions and looking for the ball

Backs been roasted and you take off Forwards . Tom Kenny said during match that cork wer overthinking at times on the ball. Hurling is too fast for that.

Initia thoughts

We are miles off the standard required, we have no physicality, no desire, no directness or speed to our play and it doesn’t give me any pleasure to say this, no tactical awareness on the line

How any bunch of selectors could leave Ciaran Joyce stuck left corner back for the entire game is beyond me. A simple supporter like me (and others) highlighted this since the team was announced yet our selectors just left him there?

Which brings me nicely to our center back, fabulous hurler but a luxury we just cannot afford, especially when the best center back, a real center back, is stuck in corner back

Mark Keane, no world beater but exactly the type of player we need, and funnily enough exactly the type Waterford look for and develop, left sat on the bench looking at that ineptness up front and he gets the call with 8 minutes to go. In that 8 minutes he done more than some of them done for 70 minutes

If ye can’t tell I’m disgusted, not because we lost, but because we have drifted back to the usual mickying around with the ball with no ability or desire to actually compete for it. That first half in Limerick was an apparition, a one off apparition, we are incapable of repeating it and are doomed for the year

One other thing, put your money on Waterford for the all ireland, a real team with real options and a ruthless manager who knows exactly what he wants
Can agree to an extent on those points but not on Keane. He didn't know what to do when he came on, a ball was hit to him and he didn't know to use his hand or hurley to take it and missed it completely. I can't see how he'll even be in the 26 on Easter Sunday

Initia thoughts

Keane did set up that goal for Flynn nicely, pity he dropped that ball at the end. I would have liked to have seen, more than the 10 mins he got.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

25th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 2pm

More events ▼