Woman murdered in Tullamore..

This is why we tell our mothers, wives, sisters and daughters to not walk alone in certain environments. We try protect them. It’s not to belittle them.
I do wonder if at this point this has become counter-productive, given certain levels of such warning happening.

Being warned your whole life that your drink will be spiked, the guy in the chipper behind you is gonna follow you home and the taxi driver is going to rape you will send a good proportion of people mental from anxiety and in other cases it'll encourage risky behavior in a "Shur fuckit, it's gonna happen anyway," kind of way.

Then the two of them combine in the Night Time Environment. Enough anxiety about what's going on around you and the dangers present (whether real or not) and a few shorts will take the edge off, then a few more, suddenly you have the booze shield up, at which point you're stumbling across town to a free gaff and now you're actually in danger. All because you couldn't relax with a couple of drinks because everything you've heard since you were a child says the world is ready to murder you.

Try reading it again soundy and you might understand it.

Your track record would suggest it's unlikely, but it cant hurt to try

That your best defence of your claim that not everyone was being tarred with the same brush and then you went with "none"? Or is this you being "sarcastic" on this thread again Matlock.

Look if you want to keep making yourself look even worse on this thread knock yourself out. I was offering you genuine advice because I think you're posting well below par and it seems to me (granted it's only an opinion) that you are very seriously disturbed by this shocking incident and it's having a very detrimental effect on your posts on this thread. I'm certainly not the only one to notice it.

There’s a picture of the alleged suspect on a bike floating around. There is also a bit of info with photo. If there’s any truth in it then it’s fair to say this thread is going to reach 1,000 pages by Sunday night.
Cos the last time information about the alleged suspect was floating around that worked out so well.

Ffs like, youd think people might have learned something from that...

I do wonder if at this point this has become counter-productive, given certain levels of such warning happening.

Being warned your whole life that your drink will be spiked, the guy in the chipper behind you is gonna follow you home and the taxi driver is going to rape you will send a good proportion of people mental from anxiety and in other cases it'll encourage risky behavior in a "Shur fuckit, it's gonna happen anyway," kind of way.

Then the two of them combine in the Night Time Environment. Enough anxiety about what's going on around you and the dangers present (whether real or not) and a few shorts will take the edge off, then a few more, suddenly you have the booze shield up, at which point you're stumbling across town to a free gaff and now you're actually in danger. All because you couldn't relax with a couple of drinks because everything you've heard since you were a child says the world is ready to murder you.
What’s the alternative? We advise women(and younger men for sure) in our lives to not walk alone in certain environments but I don’t think we ever really think so negatively that the worst case scenario will fall on our own doorstep. Likewise people let their guard down because they don’t really think the worst case scenario will happen them.

Even in the case of poor Ashling Murphy, given it was daylight, I’m not even sure anyone would have advised to her not go for a run alone. There really was no way anyone could have foreseen the worst case scenario that followed. It’s disgusting.

That your best defence of your claim that not everyone was being tarred with the same brush and then you went with "none"? Or is this you being "sarcastic" on this thread again Matlock.

Look if you want to keep making yourself look even worse on this thread knock yourself out. I was offering you genuine advice because I think you're posting well below par and it seems to me (granted it's only an opinion) that you are very seriously disturbed by this shocking incident and it's having a very detrimental effect on your posts on this thread. I'm certainly not the only one to notice it.
Thanks for allowing me to continue to have an opinion. I suppose give your history of smearing rape victims that could be seen as progress...

I think that any man who thinks it ok to catcall or harass a women certainly couldn't be described as liking women.

I think describing it as " bad behaviour " minimises it tbh.
I've seen guys pinch a womans arse and get a smack or eventually get to take her home, so in the first case you could call it harassment in the second we'd call it a rather crude chat up technique.

And both definitions depend on the womans reaction, the guys motive in both cases may have been the same yet the outcomes are different. Discuss?

I worked on a building site in London one summer in college, and yes we did whistle at a good looking girl if she walked by, it was half for a laugh and half so she'd turn around and you'd get a look at her again, some would turn around with a big smile on their face I'm guessing glad of the attention and some would just carry on walking probably not very happy.

The intention of these actions is what matters, to state it couldn't be described as liking women and hence misogynistic is way over the top without looking at the motives in question.

It's fine to point out women don't like this kind of attention and could you please lay off, that is a simple message rather resorting to the melodramatic like misogyny. Its not the word that offends its the misuse of the word.

You've seen the effect it's had here with everyone laughing at him and basically missing the message completely, sometimes how you convey a message is just as important as the message.

Just how wide do you think the Grand Canal actually is? It's only about 50 feet across at that point. This was in broad daylight and they were across from the incident and clearly saw the perpetrator before he saw them. Their description could pretty quickly rule in/out the boyfriend (if there even was one). Hair colouring, approximate age, height, and clothes being worn would give the gardai a very good indication of people who could be ruled out quickly.
Spot on, it's very narrow, particularly where Ashling was. If the other two women were across the water from her, they may as well have had front row seats.

Spare a thought for what they witnessed too. And absolutely helpless to do anything, with the body of water between them and the act.

Yer man was some brazen fucker to carry out this crime in broad daylight without a care for who was watching.

This makes me think that he was known to her, and lost the rag. A randomer would surely have had a look around first and made sure he was in the clear.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Rostah

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼