The Beatles: Get Back 2020

Paul was cool about it and rightly said "We would look stupid in 50 years time if we split up because a girlfriend sat on an amp"

John always looked down on younger George and he had his writing partner in Paul as well as disliking a lot of Georges low tempo dirge like songs.

They all come across very well in the documentary.

Witty, talented, drunk and stoned but always musically inventive and up for a laugh.

John roasting Peter Sellars who wandered into the set was great and Paul being the most focused and driven trying to hold it all together.

They surviving Beatles and the estates of the dead ones basically got to approve what was released, which partly explains that.

Really enjoyed the whole thing, it definitely exposed them bare. However, one of my all-time favourite scenes, was when they were in the last few days at Twickenham, and Lennon is talking to the director I think, about what they could do with the show etc, and while they are talking, Paul is in the background, laying down early versions of Let It Be & The Long & Winding Road. Another thing, was almost the whole of the Abbey Road Road album tracks, were started during the sessions, the only two I don't think I heard in Jacksons film, were "Come Together" & "Here Comes The Sun", but all the others. So many early version of many solo tracks also were heard, including Lennon's "The Road To Marrikesh" which later became "Jealous Guy". Several solo tracks for Paul & George also, got their early/rough airings. This film is such a unique document, great to see it all unedited - in the warts & all, form.

Really enjoyed the whole thing, it definitely exposed them bare. However, one of my all-time favourite scenes, was when they were in the last few days at Twickenham, and Lennon is talking to the director I think, about what they could do with the show etc, and while they are talking, Paul is in the background, laying down early versions of Let It Be & The Long & Winding Road. Another thing, was almost the whole of the Abbey Road Road album tracks, were started during the sessions, the only two I don't think I heard in Jacksons film, were "Come Together" & "Here Comes The Sun", but all the others. So many early version of many solo tracks also were heard, including Lennon's "The Road To Marrikesh" which later became "Jealous Guy". Several solo tracks for Paul & George also, got their early/rough airings. This film is such a unique document, great to see it all unedited - in the warts & all, form.
It is staggering that they did not spend enough time on Georges "All Things Must Pass" track as his basic demo is way better than Phil Spectors over produced version that ended up on Georges solo album. They were under time pressure with Ringo due to go and make a movie i think.

They just had so many songs and ideas even the good ones that ended up on Abbey Road and solo tracks got set aside.

Paul writing "Get Back" in Twickenham on his bass with a bored Ringo and George and they both start to realise that they have another great tune being born.

the whole thing is an astonishing record of the biggest band in the world at work, incredible really

fair dues to jackson and his minions
The film and sound quality is just superb and you feel that you are in the room with them with the level of detail.

Going to watch it again over the Christmas break.

I’l have to watch it all again, as its so long, there are bound to be things i missed. its a masterclass in “editing”, the way he had more than double the hours of audio, than the hours filmed, but he weaved in a lot of that audio, while using representitive video. Its one of the most interesting, and also complex at times, music docs, i’ve ever seen to be honest.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Listen To The Birds: Cork World Book Fest

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼