Cyclists

One thing that drives me mad is the change made to the straight road.

They went to the effort of making the road narrower to make a nice big cycle path along with the footpath ( before if breaks into a dedicated cyvle lane next to the footpath ) . Yet some cyclists refuse to use the cycle lane, which is about 5 feet wide, presumably because they don't want people or other cyclists getting in their way, so they cycle on the already reduced road which holds traffic up. What was the point if they won't even use it.

They also cycle down the macroom/coachford road which is pretty dangerous at the best of times, let alone when you come around a corner to see cyclists 2-3 abrest having a good old chat.

I really don't mind cyclists using the road and I am always cautious and courterous with them, but there are some who are pretty ignorant about it.

They seem to see some roads as their playground rather than a transport network and take leisurely bike rides down roads that really are not well suited for it. Never understood if they want to go for a bike ride, why don't they go somewhere suited for such?

Imagine having to live with someones death on your conscience because you have no way of seeing him coming around a corner. Gutting.

Oh and overtaking on the inside drives me nuts too. The thing is, you never see a cyclist line up properly behind a car when with the rest of the traffic, they will 99% of the time be weaving in and out in no ordered manner other than whatever gets them wherever they are going to faster. If we all drove like that there would be chaos.

Imo, if you are on a road, no matter what your vehicle, follow the convention of driving on the road. This applies to motor cyclists too. They can be pure dangerous.

Fair points Bealor, except motorbikes are allowed to filter

One thing that drives me mad is the change made to the straight road.

They went to the effort of making the road narrower to make a nice big cycle path along with the footpath ( before if breaks into a dedicated cyvle lane next to the footpath ) . Yet some cyclists refuse to use the cycle lane, which is about 5 feet wide, presumably because they don't want people or other cyclists getting in their way, so they cycle on the already reduced road which holds traffic up. What was the point if they won't even use it.

They also cycle down the macroom/coachford road which is pretty dangerous at the best of times, let alone when you come around a corner to see cyclists 2-3 abrest having a good old chat.

I really don't mind cyclists using the road and I am always cautious and courterous with them, but there are some who are pretty ignorant about it.

They seem to see some roads as their playground rather than a transport network and take leisurely bike rides down roads that really are not well suited for it. Never understood if they want to go for a bike ride, why don't they go somewhere suited for such?

Imagine having to live with someones death on your conscience because you have no way of seeing him coming around a corner. Gutting.

Oh and overtaking on the inside drives me nuts too. The thing is, you never see a cyclist line up properly behind a car when with the rest of the traffic, they will 99% of the time be weaving in and out in no ordered manner other than whatever gets them wherever they are going to faster. If we all drove like that there would be chaos.

Imo, if you are on a road, no matter what your vehicle, follow the convention of driving on the road. This applies to motor cyclists too. They can be pure dangerous.

I've seen cyclists doing that as well, ignoring the cycle lane and cycling on the road but it is legal and some of the cycle lanes are bumpy and badly maintained.

Overtaking on the inside is also allowed, motorists should leave 1.5 m on the inside, but this just a recommendation, not legislation.

Yeah I know they are allowed, but it is not exactly safe and makes me nervous as I will be the bad guy if anything happened :p

The case of the straight road is mad though, because the cycle lane is perfect.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

26th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Simple Kid

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼