Do I have a leg to stand on?

Right folks, bear with me for a moment here...I need some advice re. rental situation myself and the missus have gotten ourselves into.

We moved into new house last weekend, and on moving some bits and pieces in (Saturday night) we spied the place was absolutely crawling....filthy cupboards, oven, mould in the fridge/freezer, everything really

So we contacted the letting agent who to his credit called back that night, and arranged for landlord to get in and clean the place properly on Sunday/Monday. In the meantime, we had to contact our previous landlord and she kindly agreed to let us stay in the old house for an extra night or two.

We came down on Monday night, and the place looked clean, there was still a small bit to do, but overall we were happier, and as we had shitloads to do, we told landlord that we'd do the rest (he maintained there was only an hour or so left).

Now, since then, it seems everywhere we look is fucking crawling again.....damp smell coming from behind cupboards, dirt everywhere, we even found old hair clippings from god only knows when in one of the bedside lockers....seriously disgusting shit.

We're fed up and basically want out.....as we signed a 12 month lease before moving in, are we screwed, or does anybody know if we can get out of it?

I know there's a clause where we can look to sub-let the place, and if landlord refuses then we can give 28 days notice, but knowing our luck the fucker'd agree to it.

So, wise sages of proc.....what do we do!!!!!!

We came down on Monday night, and the place looked clean, there was still a small bit to do, but overall we were happier, and as we had shitloads to do, we told landlord that we'd do the rest (he maintained there was only an hour or so left).

Now, since then, it seems everywhere we look is fucking crawling again.....damp smell coming from behind cupboards, dirt everywhere, we even found old hair clippings from god only knows when in one of the bedside lockers....

I'm confused by these parts... Did ye not take a proper look around after the first cleaning?

I'm confused by these parts... Did ye not take a proper look around after the first cleaning?

I know....and this is where I think we may have fucked ourselves, but we looked around, and on the surface, things looked a little cleaner.....but it wasn't until a day or two later when we eventually got around to unpacking that we really noticed how bad it was.

That's what I fear....now we had signed before all this shit kicked off......no way we'd have signed after seeing the state of the place.

Saying that, if there's something wrong in our place, we get straight onto the landlord and it's sorted. There must be some sort of clause that the place has to be liveable. You could withold payment until it's properly cleaned perhaps. Not sure what road that would lead to though.

I've broken leases before B, it's no major problem. Expect to be down a few bob though. You'll probably lose your deposit, this month's rent and your 28 days notice rent.

You could always claim the missus is severly asthmatic and say that you have to move cos of the mould...

Just move out. Send him a sols letter for the deposit.

It's that simple.

I don't think it is though.....we send him letter for the deposit, he sends us one back for his 12 months rent....I'd rather walk away above board, forget amicably.

There's always the option of pumping up the volume of the stereo while we're out during the day....he did happen to mention that the neighbour was a cranky ould fucker who complained about noise at every opportunity.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jeito Moleque
The Kino, Washington Street West

12th Apr 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼