As it prepares to embark upon a fourth century of development, it is timely to reflect on the evolution of Crawford Art Gallery’s site, building, and function from 1724 to the present.
This exhibition explores how the building has changed with the times. Repurposed from its original role as Custom House, it has operated as a School of Art, Municipal Art Gallery, and National Cultural Institution. At each shift in purpose, it has adapted and grown in response to the needs of the city and people of Cork, Munster, and Ireland.
SITE OF CHANGE draws together images and objects from across the centuries that express this much-loved building’s former and present appearance, as well as its role in the city’s cultural life.