'Undernourished' Cork kid collapses in school

Ffs ???

Why you think that ?

Is it like 200 euro or something a week - I couldn't live on it - nevermind with a child !

Thats bullshit. The benefits in this country are extremely good. between rent payments, fuel allowances, medical cards, ontop of whatever social wel;fare payment. aswell as the childrens allowance.

Useful post from boards.ie where a guy checked ALDI food prices

add in broccoli, apples, carrots, parsnip and pears all @ 65c each (€3.90), 2 sliced pans at @ 85c (€1.70), 1kg Mince (€3.69), 4 homemade burgers (€2.89), 4 chicken kievs (€3.90), BBQ chicken thighs and drumsticks (€1.99), 10 eggs (€1.85). Throw in some milk, cornflakes and you've more than enough food to keep the two of them going and you've spent a grand total of €25. There's no excuse for any child to go hungry.

Whatever the reasons for this I couldn't accept low social welfare payments as one tbh.

For a child to be undernourished it's a situation that has been going on a long time, not the odd week overspending and running out of food.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on a habit as the reason although it could be, she could be in debt to loan sharks or anything, once they get their claws into you it's a nightmare to get out of.

What concerns me is that it took this child collapsing before it seems anyone noticed, teachers, family, friends parents etc etc. That's quite sad of the society around this child tbh.

Exactly. Aldi and Lidl are cheap enough. There should be no excuse to let a child go hungry.

There isn't, there will be something more behind this.

Not every hungry child is the result of a mother with a habit, tbh that's usually when extended family step in and make sure the child is ok, because they are aware of the situation.

I read somewhere that the social welfare payments in Ireland are 3 times more than in Germany, sh what the fuck is going on?

Ten years ago the social welfare payments were much lower and we never heard about anything like this.
I wonder what the school were doing to allow this to happen? Surely at least one of the teachers would have noticed the child wasn't right in the days and weeks before the event?

My mother was a teacher in a rural school for 40 years and she
certainly saw under nurished kids. It is neither an urban, not a recent problem.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Charlie's, Union Quay

26th May 2024 @ 3:30 pm
More info..

Sean Tierney

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼