'Undernourished' Cork kid collapses in school

But if a parent is receiving Social Welfare payments for themselves and their child/children, then they must take responsibility for providing the basics (food, clothing, heat) to the child, wouldn't you agree? Especially, if the State is providing money specifically for that reason. If the parent is struggling financially, then it's up to them to alert the relevant authorities - and a lot of them do with respect to accessing emergency payments etc. If there are other personal issues with the parent, then, obviously they need to be addressed, but there is no way a child should be suffering. And I would agree with whoever said on here about the teachers etc. not doing something sooner.

There are thousands of reasons why someone wouldn't know where to turn to, or perhaps couldn't even say. Not everyone can speak English or has access to a car, or a family network and so on. Not so many years ago my mother was teaching children, uniform shabby, no lunch and so forth. The school were afraid to speak to the parents as in todays society, you could end up in court. These children also had grandparents and aunts and uncles. I would imagine there is a family like that in most schools. For parents, we get notes for money, school book lists and never is there a number to contact if you can't afford it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Uncanny: I Know What I Saw
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

30th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼