Two Norries

Certain Cork city (mainly northside) accents are funny. Those guys could be Rhodes scholars for all I know, but that accent makes it seem like they are really struggling to articulate what they mean, as if words longer than monosyllables are big obstacles.

Certain Cork city (mainly northside) accents are funny. Those guys could be Rhodes scholars for all I know, but that accent makes it seem like they are really struggling to articulate what they mean, as if words larger than monosyllables are big obstacles.
Trust me on this Fishy.

I know a few people who use big words when simpler language would do. In this, they often fail to communicate effectively.

Judicious use of language is far better than using words that leave people reaching for their dictionary every two minutes.

Certain Cork city (mainly northside) accents are funny. Those guys could be Rhodes scholars for all I know, but that accent makes it seem like they are really struggling to articulate what they mean, as if words longer than monosyllables are big obstacles.
You mean you judge them based on their accents?

Trust me on this Fishy.

I know a few people who use big words when simpler language would do. In this, they often fail to communicate effectively.

Judicious use of language is far better than using words that leave people reaching for their dictionary every two minutes.

Oh, I know lots of people who use big words and they don't even know what they're saying.

In the case of the video, I think it's a rhythm thing in certain Cork accents. It slows down in places, especially during 'larger' words, as if the speaker is almost embarrassed to use the words.

"makes it seem like they are really struggling to articulate what they mean, as if words longer than monosyllables are big obstacles."
How is that not judging them?

The bit in bold.

I have a relative who studied English in UCC to doctorate level, and he has possibly the strongest northside accent you'd ever hear.

It's like some of the Kerry accents or the Stary Bood Dublin accent.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Ride
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

4th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼