Training Run Times

Cheers lads.. glad the kayak section is cancelled as I had little interest in it anyway.

The weather is shocking, winds of 40-45kph gusting 80-90 kph and pissing rain.. I dunno! Actually concerned about the biking, gusts like that and deep rims is seriously dodgy territory, you get blown all over the place

Its survival rather than a race.. just get to the end

Anyway, I’m all packed up and hitting the sack 👍

Race Report - Quest Gendalough 2024

The day started with a fundamental mistake.. I offered the buddy that’s always late for everything a lift, called at 7.30 to be on the road by 7.45, ended up being 8.15 for no apparent reason. Meant we missed getting parking at the event and instead having to park about 3 or 4km away in Glendalough Visitor Centre. It also meant that we got to the starting pen at 9.30 for a 9.40 start but had no race numbers etc as they were with a different buddy who we couldn’t find. Ended up finding our friend with the race numbers etc as the wave left and missing our start.. so no stretching, preparing or anything of any sort.

On a positive note, the weather was better than expected.. howling winds, and gusting to about 80kph, but the rain had held off in the main.

So out of the pen on our own, and I left the buddies behind on the first leg.. 6km cycle up to the forrest for the first run. I didn’t mind the elevation which was steep and caught up with our wave quickly, passing a good bunch of them up to the way, arrived into the racking area feeling good, changed into my runners and off for the ‘run’. In my head this was a 6km run, in reality it was a trudge through ankle deep mud climbing across a steep hiking trail where the options were running in sludge and running through rivers of water, picking every single step the whole way as people slipped and fell left right and centre. The climbing was ferocious but I managed to keep the slowest run imaginable going. The downhill sections were almost worse, no grip, runnning down our mud and waiting to bust yourself. Eventually emerged back into the pen and swapped back into my cycling shoes soaked to the skin, and covered in mud. I took a big bite of a protein bar here

This started the big descent but the reality was ferocious head winds and me on an aero bike getting blown all over the place.. seriously dodgy. There was one point where I was in top gear doing about 60kph, rounded a corner into the headwind and got blown to an almost stop in an instant.. mad stuff. At about 6km they decided it was dangerous and made us dismount and run for 1km downhill in cycling shoes.. hard plastic soles that don’t bend! Back on the bike and made some good progress, I’d say I passed 50 people in this 20km section

Pulled up in to the pen at the park and changed into the mud caked and soaked runners again, and realised quickly that I was in trouble.. the run started straight into more severe climbing, we knew the kayaking was off so it was a 10km run to the end. Up, up and at 2km I could feel that about 4 of my leg muscles were going into spasm and about to cramp. Stopped and stretched and got going again, strangely enough I fell into a rhythm running albeit slowly.. kept it going and was making decent ground but at 6km I started to get the same messages from the leg muscles, at 7.5km that fucking cramp in the inside of the thigh slammed in, no way to stretch it, had to stop. I tried stretching and a lovely lady spotted me and gave me jelly beans with electrolytes, a few minutes later a fella I’d passed and offered encouragement to stopped and told me walk with him, we’d get going again.. so I did and after a few hundred meters we got running again. About 500m later he cramped again so I left him and somehow kept it going to the end, rain lashing down but cooling the systems!

I have never been so relieved to cross a finish line, it was a fucking brutal race due to conditions. No doubt, the hardest thing I’ve done.. 3hrs 10 mins of pure torture in the end.

So to reflect.. I have no idea if I enjoyed it or hated it.. it was dog rough, but without doubt the biggest achievement I’ve had in this sense by a mile.. the HM was nowhere near as tough. On the other hand I know I can endure 3hrs+ of tough stuff and get there which means I should be able for an Olympic tri as the run I g and cycling will be far more structured with less climbing

I could probably be talked into Kenmare or Killarney Quest as a number of people told me this was the hardest one they had done by a mile.. but I definitely prefer racing on proper surfaces!

Conclusion.. I’m totaled.. nice race hoodie though!

Last edited:
Race Report - Quest Gendalough 2024

The day started with a fundamental mistake.. I offered the buddy that’s always late for everything a lift, called at 7.30 to be on the road by 7.45, ended up being 8.15 for no apparent reason. Meant we missed getting parking at the event and instead having to park about 3 or 4km away in Glendalough Visitor Centre. It also meant that we got to the starting pen at 9.30 for a 9.40 start but had no race numbers etc as they were with a different buddy who we couldn’t find. Ended up finding our friend with the race numbers etc as the wave left and missing our start.. so no stretching, preparing or anything of any sort.

On a positive note, the weather was better than expected.. howling winds, and gusting to about 80kph, but the rain had held off in the main.

So out of the pen on our own, and I left the buddies behind on the first leg.. 6km cycle up to the forrest for the first run. I didn’t mind the elevation which was steep and caught up with our wave quickly, passing a good bunch of them up to the way, arrived into the racking area feeling good, changed into my runners and off for the ‘run’. In my head this was a 6km run, in reality it was a trudge through ankle deep mud climbing across a steep hiking trail where the options were running in sludge and running through rivers of water, picking every single step the whole way as people slipped and fell left right and centre. The climbing was ferocious but I managed to keep the slowest run imaginable going. The downhill sections were almost worse, no grip, runnning down our mud and waiting to bust yourself. Eventually emerged back into the pen and swapped back into my cycling shoes soaked to the skin, and covered in mud. I took a big bite of a protein bar here

This started the big descent but the reality was ferocious head winds and me on an aero bike getting blown all over the place.. seriously dodgy. There was one point where I was in top gear doing about 60kph, rounded a corner into the headwind and got blown to an almost stop in an instant.. mad stuff. At about 6km they decided it was dangerous and made us dismount and run for 1km downhill in cycling shoes.. hard plastic soles that don’t bend! Back on the bike and made some good progress, I’d say I passed 50 people in this 20km section

Pulled up in to the pen at the park and changed into the mud caked and soaked runners again, and realised quickly that I was in trouble.. the run started straight into more severe climbing, we knew the kayaking was off so it was a 10km run to the end. Up, up and at 2km I could feel that about 4 of my leg muscles were going into spasm and about to cramp. Stopped and stretched and got going again, strangely enough I fell into a rhythm running albeit slowly.. kept it going and was making decent ground but at 6km I started to get the same massages from the leg muscles, at 7.5km that fucking cramp in the inside of the thigh slammed in, no way to stretch it, had to stop. I tried stretching and a lovely lady spotted me and gave me jelly beans with electrolytes, a few minutes later a fella I’d passed and offered encouragement to stopped and told me walk with him, we’d get going again.. so I did and after a few hundred meters we got running again. About 500m later he cramped again so I left him and somehow kept it going to the end, rain lashing down but cooling the systems!

I have never been so relieved to cross a finish line, it was a fucking brutal race due to conditions. No doubt, the hardest thing I’ve done.. 3hrs 10 mins of pure torture in the end.

So to reflect.. I have no idea if I enjoyed it or hated it.. it was dog rough, but without doubt the biggest achievement I’ve had in this sense by a mile.. the HM was nowhere near as tough. On the other hand I know I can endure 3hrs+ of tough stuff and get there which means I should be able for an Olympic tri as the run I g and cycling will be far more structured with less climbing

I could probably be talked into Kenmare or Killarney Quest as a number of people told me this was the hardest one they had done by a mile.. but I definitely prefer racing on proper surfaces!

Conclusion.. I’m totaled.. nice race hoodie though!
Great read, Honky well done, i hate bad time keepers, on a day like today you want your prep to go to plan and not to arrive stressed, sounds like one tough challenge,

Great read, Honky well done, i hate bad time keepers, on a day like today you want your prep to go to plan and not to arrive stressed, sounds like one tough challenge,
It was ferocious JimmY.. I had to stop on the drive home because my leg went into cramp again!

I’m hammered, but I know it was a big achievement.. I finished 25 and 27 mins ahead of the buddies so in my group I went well

16 miles this morning, And as per recent months the wheels came off after mile 8,
Had an option of a drive home after mile 10 but persevered with a mixture of walk, run , finished @9.48 pace, will add in an extra run per week when family life allows,

16 miles this morning, And as per recent months the wheels came off after mile 8,
Had an option of a drive home after mile 10 but persevered with a mixture of walk, run , finished @9.48 pace, will add in an extra run per week when family life allows,
Jimmy, 16 miles is a massive run. 8 miles is a nice run! Why don’t you knock the runs back to 7-8 miles and get a few comfortable weeks done, then start to stretch it out again a mile or two a week?

I’m not sure there’s huge benefit in hobbling through 6 miles just to get to the end?

Talking of hobbling.. I’m like an old man today after yesterday.. Worst I have been after any event by a long shot!

I was fairly flaked after the Quest so didn't do much looking at the stats other than my final time, so had a quick flick there and it is 100% obvious what went down on Sat.. all of which can be summarised without a degree in this stuff as a textbook case of fail to prepare, prepare to fail!

There is obviously a lot of learning right now, my first Quest and not a load of racing under the belt in any sense, but still I should have had a much better idea of what I was going to, and what to expect, plus some sort of pacing plan. Work has been very busy and my buddy signed me up to this so it only really began to dawn on me last week that the elevation of the race was massive, but what I completely failed to understand was the running element of the course, especially the first leg which would have been better described as run-mountaineering. The 2nd run leg was fine in terms of the surface and I should have run a decent time in it, bar the first 2km which is a monstrous climb.

No stretching, prep, and just shooting off behind our wave is also amateur hour, not entirely my fault but that is irrelevant. One other thing - in shit, muddy conditions you need to be in an earlier wave as the course deteriorates with every person that runs it.

So the stats that tell the story:

- Cycle 1, I was 173/663 = 26%
- Run 1, I was 162/663 = 25%
- Cycle 2, I was 133/663 = 20%
- Run 2 = Blow-up

I think my first bike section was quick but ok, I was comfortable enough even though it was all climbing and quite severe at times, felt good starting the first run and this is where I blew things. There is no way I should be a top 25% run time, especially on a muddy mountain with massive elevation, but I was going for it and clearly overdid it there

The next cycle was also too fast in hindsight, I averaged 24kph with a vertical of 211m which also includes 1km running in my cycle shoes so the average pace on the bike was more like 25kph. The 211m only tells part of that story as some of the climbing was really severe. If it was 211m consistently across the ride that would be a much easier proposition. I could already feel it in my legs coming into the end of the ride, lashed the electrolytes in my drink into me but it was too late. Another 200m+ climb in the first 2km of the next run was the death knell.. my goose was cooked!

Overall I finished in the 30% position of the field which I'd have taken all day long before the race, but it was seriously frustrating in the final 6km of the run leg knowing I should have been eating it up when I was either cramping, or hobbling along because aerobically I was absolutely fine

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼