Training Run Times

Ah Jesus JimmY.. you're not having much luck

Ive had 2 stress fractures in my right shin over the years from sports. The last one took me about 6/8 weeks in a boot and I was back going again. I know you are pushing for the marathon and this is probably the end of that again now

Come join me and the 10km fun crew when you're back.. let the other lads to the really lengthy stuff!
Marathon dream is gone for good, If i even mention it herself will chuckle me, Three years running is too much of a coincidence,
My body is telling me its time to forget it,

Marathon dream is gone for good, If i even mention it herself will chuckle me, Three years running is too much of a coincidence,
Theres no shame in that JimmY.. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone gets through a full marathon. You were running well in excess of HM distances so maybe the HM is a target once a year and you keep the rest of the running to 10km range. I think I'll aim for the Clontarf HM again to finish off this year, and that will hopefully be off a really good block of training until then.

Theres no shame in that JimmY.. I honestly cannot comprehend how anyone gets through a full marathon. You were running well in excess of HM distances so maybe the HM is a target once a year and you keep the rest of the running to 10km range. I think I'll aim for the Clontarf HM again to finish off this year, and that will hopefully be off a really good block of training until then.
Went out yesterday to do 19 miles, At 16 i was feeling the heat and walked a bit, I knew as soon as i walked i was in trouble,
I have a PB for the half of 1.54 so beating that in the autumn will be my target,

Went out yesterday to do 19 miles, At 16 i was feeling the heat and walked a bit, I knew as soon as i walked i was in trouble,
I have a PB for the half of 1.54 so beating that in the autumn will be my target,
That’s a good target. I’ll be trying for the 1:50 again I suppose so we will be aiming as the same thing. I should have more X training done this year but prob not a lot more long runs done so chances are my time won’t change enough.. I think I was 1:51:50 last time or something close to that

That’s a dose Jimmy, particularly when you’re that close. Best get it sorted properly all the same. i wouldn’t give up all hope of finishing a full yet!

Not at all. You've a good outlook and you're right to shift focus to shorter stuff. You'll smack that half PB sideways, but don't be afraid to set some shorter targets, a 20min 5k is a good one and mostly achievable. if your PB there is about 24mins (at a guess) shoot for 23 next, then 22 etc with the aim of 20 once you've jumped the other barriers

Definely take some time to figure out what's up that you sre breaking down during your marathon buildups. I dont know you or your training or your training history but I'll bet you some small changes will reap dividends

Based on your posts you seemed to go from walk/running 10 miles to running 16 and 18 mile.long runs over a very short period. The stress fracture would indicate you ramped it up too quickly. Go onto Garmin connect and write down your weekly milage totals for the last 12 months. it'll take 5 mins. I guarantee you made a big jump about 6 weeks ago which you weren't ready for.

When you ran your 18 miler around Ballyphehane how long did it take? based on your half PB I'd guess >3 hours , did you fuel? if so how much. You'll be well into birning liver glycogen when you're on your feet that long, did you take a recovery drink after 3:1 carb protein. not just protein It'll do you the world of good for anything longer than 90mins or so.

If you're about 50 years old, Some protein 2 hours before bed is good idea. Maybe strength work

If you have dirty calves after a run you're likely wonkey at your feet (maybe pronating) do your "A" drills routinely.

Consider getting some milage cross trainingm Bike, eleptical etc. your legs need the roads but your heart doesn't give a shit

You're not likely to be made of different stuff that makes you especially fragile. you'll run your marathon just not this year is all

Last edited:
Not at all. You've a good outlook and you're right to shift focus to shorter stuff. You'll smack that half PB sideways, but don't be afraid to set some shorter targets, a 20min 5k is a good one and mostly achievable. if your PB there is about 24mins (at a guess) shoot for 23 next, then 22 etc with the aim of 20 once you've jumped the other barriers

Definely take some time to figure out what's up that you sre breaking down during your marathon buildups. I dont know you or your training or your training history but I'll bet you some small changes will reap dividends

Based on your posts you seemed to go from walk/running 10 miles to running 16 and 18 mile.long runs over a very short period. The stress fracture would indicate you ramped it up too quickly. Go onto Garmin connect and write down your weekly milage totals for the last 12 months. it'll take 5 mins. I guarantee you made a big jump about 6 weeks ago which you weren't ready for.

When you ran your 18 miler around Ballyphehane how long did it take? based on your half PB I'd guess >3 hours , did you fuel? if so how much. You'll be well into birning liver glycogen when you're on your feet that long, did you take a recovery drink after 3:1 carb protein. not just protein It'll do you the world of good for anything longer than 90mins or so.

If you're about 50 years old, Some protein 2 hours before bed is good idea. Maybe strength work

If you have dirty calves after a run you're likely wonkey at your feet (maybe pronating) do your "A" drills routinely.

Consider getting some milage cross trainingm Bike, eleptical etc. your legs need the roads but your heart doesn't give a shit

You're not likely to be made of different stuff that makes you especially fragile. you'll run your marathon just not this year is all
Hi Thanks for your reply, I am 55, not carrying weight but not carrying a lot of muscle either, Am only running 4 years,
November 2022 i was at my peak did castlelyons 10k in 49 mins, Was flying im early 23, pace was improving , March 23 hamstring issue put a stop to my gallop .
To be honest my pace hasnt recovered since. I usually run tues 5miles Thurs 5 miles and sunday long run, ideally an extra mid week run would help but work/family stuff get in the way, I did my recent 18 mile in 2.55, and felt ok after it,
I do agree i need to take on more fuel on these runs and maybe do them in a way where i can pass my car mid way through and grab some fuel, I take on plenty of fluid post run, Eat plenty of chicken, fish.
eggs, Right now i look forward to getting back out there and rebuilding,

Maybe your body is telling you "listen to Carmona and El Guapo". I've done about 17 of these marathon things and I'm not sure I'll do another. Last one was December '22. The body has had issues since (and before) that means I'm sticking to shorter stuff for a bit now. After the last 42.2k I have done a few 21.1s but this year I'm even considering that distance! Dunno, just not loving the time on feet. Maybe next year, we'll see.

Jimmy, you do seem to jump fairly quickly from 11 milers to 16 milers in training. As for races, I've seen very few HM reports. A fella hoping to do marathons would normally do a few Halfs for fun... as part of build-up or whatever. I remember advising you to take a step back and forget the marathon for a year or more. If you get a few halfs under your belt and get your shorter distance times down, you'll gain confidence and feel better about the whole thing. Don't obssess about the M distance either. If you end up never doing one, so be it. Take care, stay as healthy as possible, get a few runs a week in when you can, and let the rest look after itself. In 2029 you might be on here talking about smashing the marathon pb from 2027!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Strangeways Club Night*

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼