The Real McCoy

Yes, I did see McCoy Tyner and he was absolutely excellent. I was also lucky enough to see him 4 or 5 years ago in New York, and it seems that his health has deteriorated considerably since then, which would probably account for the short set. Still an incredible powerful player though, even at his age. My one criticism was that the drummer in the trio could have been turned down a tad, he was a little loud relative to the piano (from where I sat anyway).

Wasn't much into Charlie Hayden, a bit meandering, especially the last piece, which was a bit of a wind-up.

I thought the Charlie Hayden gig had its moments, especially at the start. Had to leave early enough into McCoy's set for work but what a privelege to see such a legend in action. The Real deal is right.
Thought Roy Haynes and his band were the highlight for me overall though. The guy still looks about 35!!!!!!!!!!

Pheas said:
Wasn't much into Charlie Hayden, a bit meandering, especially the last piece, which was a bit of a wind-up.

I think the last piece was Barber's 'Adagio'. I thought it was actually the best piece of music they played, but it was a slow piece at the end of an entire concert of slow and rather over-solemn music. A few uptempo tunes and some exciting soloing would have done no harm at all.

Adagio was great, the rest was kinda jazz wank for me until the mccoy trio came on, so wank that i fell asleep for part of it.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼