The Official Chelsea thread

They have many player who they choose to deploy in nominally wide positions but the majority of these players tend to drift inside and would prefer to play more centrally if given the choice. Guily is their only attacker that I can think of, off the top of my head, who is more comfortable out wide.

Messi?
Ronaldinho?

Even Eto plays out there a lot

Messi & Ronaldinho start out wide but tend to drift in and do most of their damage centrally via quick one-two's and drops of the shoulder. Neither are naturally compelled to stay out wide and attack their full-back on the outside.

Eto'o works the channels well due to his pace & strength but is mainly a striker and his main job at Barca is to be there to finish when Messi, Ronaldinho, Iniesta etc. carve open a defence. I couldn't perceive a situation where Robben and Eto'o are competing for a place on a regular basis, should he sign & should Eto'o stay.

Messi & Ronaldinho start out wide but tend to drift in and do most of their damage centrally via quick one-two's and drops of the shoulder. Neither are naturally compelled to stay out wide and attack their full-back on the outside.

Eto'o works the channels well due to his pace & strength but is mainly a striker and his main job at Barca is to be there to finish when Messi, Ronaldinho, Iniesta etc. carve open a defence. I couldn't perceive a situation where Robben and Eto'o are competing for a place on a regular basis, should he sign & should Eto'o stay.

Eto fair enough

But the other do play a similar role, especially Messi, who cuts in, as you say, in a similar way that Robben does

Anyway, at that price it's a bargain no matter what

He's also tough as nails that lad

clemhalpin1.jpg

if Mourinho sells Robben then hes a clown. For me Robben is vital the way that team are set up.

ye're right, Barca already have a few players with his type of attributes. Say this won't be happening at all.

Chelsea clampdown on celery-throwers leads to bans

Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:28PM BST
LONDON (Reuters) - Chelsea have banned three of their fans after they were caught throwing celery during the team's FA Cup win at Tottenham Hotspur, the Premier League champions said on Tuesday.
Two of them were arrested for throwing celery during the quarter-final replay on March 19, while a third was spotted throwing the vegetable and later identified to the club.
A fourth supporter was banned for a pitch incursion.
"All four people have been banned by the club and three will face court bans depending on the outcome of any criminal proceedings," the club said on its Web site www.chelseafc.com.
Chelsea had warned their fans three days before the replay against throwing celery during matches, saying it was a criminal offence and that anyone caught could be banned.
The unlikely warning had followed referee reports which mentioned celery-throwing at two previous Chelsea matches and which were being investigated by the Football Association.
Though celery has recently been landing on the pitch, Chelsea fans have been throwing it among themselves, and singing an unprintable song about the vegetable, for more than two decades.

Very useful addition for Chelsea at this stage of the season if he can hit the ground running.

Cole back for Chelsea

Monday, April 2, 2007

Chelsea's Joe Cole has his eyes on a comeback in the Champions League match against Valencia this week.
Blues boss Jose Mourinho said earlier this season he feared the England midfielder would miss out for the remainder of the campaign with a stress fracture of the foot.
But Cole admitted today he is "close to being absolutely perfect" in terms of fitness, following the December setback.
The 25-year-old former West Ham player told Chelsea TV: "I feel really happy to be back.
"There are always little niggles when you come back — I got one before the Watford game so we erred on the side of caution and I didn't come back.
"But I feel fine now, for the first time this season.
"When I came back last time (after a knee injury, last year) I was feeling it but now I feel my body is so close to being absolutely perfect.
"I've been out a long time but hopefully I can hit the ground running.
"I'll do what I can, even if it's only for 10 or 15 minutes."
Cole revealed his frustration at being on the sidelines, adding: "Injuries are part and parcel of being a footballer.
"But it's not nice being injured — you feel like you are letting your manager and the players down.
"Everyone's been great though and I've fought every day to get back — and you get your rewards."
Chelsea play the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final against Valencia at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday night.
And Cole added: "Some said I wouldn't play this season but I want to come back and make an impact — and hopefully that'll be on Wednesday night."

Jose: Chelsea Have No Money

mourinhokunt1aw3.gif

Jose Mourinho has indicated that the days of Chelsea's big spending to days could be over by claiming the club couldn't afford to sign Porto defender Pepe.

The barbed comments will further aggravate the disillusioned Roman Abramovich and suggest that the Russian has imposed a spending freeze, after an estimated £400m expenditure since buying the club in 2004.

Speaking after Porto's 1-1 draw with Benfica, Mourinho told the Portuguese press: "Pepe impressed me a lot and was very good. Besides, I've been passionate about Pepe for a long time. By that, don't think that Chelsea want Pepe, because they don't have money for him."

It is unlikely in any case that Mourinho will still be at Stamford Bridge this summer, with only Champions League success offering any hope of salvation.

According to The Daily Telegraph, 'Despite the intense speculation over Mourinho's future, it is understood that there is unlikely to be an approach to Russia manager Guus Hiddink, who has been linked with the club.

Sources close to Chelsea say he will not replace Mourinho because he has a contract with Russia until the end of the Euro 2008 finals.

'But it does seem increasingly likely that [Portsmouth's Israeli coach] Avram Grant will join the club's coaching team in the summer. According to insiders, Mourinho has now even agreed to the move, fearing that his refusal could hasten his departure.'

Mourinho's claim comes after Rafa Benitez was reportedly given £40 million to spend on the Liverpool side in the summer.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Underground Ovation: Open Deck Night

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼