The Official Arsenal Thread

Arsenal look to fill empty seats at 'full' stadium

Paul Kelso
Thursday February 15, 2007
The Guardian

Arsenal have confirmed the suspicions of many visitors to the Emirates Stadium this season, admitting that the club routinely declares misleading attendance figures for home games.
Regular visitors to the new stadium, including season ticket holders and reporters, have noted that, while attendance figures give the impression that it is at or close to its 60,500 capacity, the reality is that at times numerous seats have been empty. Sunday's game against Wigan Athletic was a case in point, with the official figure of 60,049 at odds with the large number of empty seats.

The club confirmed yesterday that the figure announced was for tickets sold rather than actual attendance and that on average as many as 3% of ticket holders - more than 1,800 people - did not take up their seats. The number of no-shows reflects the increase in corporate season ticket holders at the stadium and the club will trial a buy-back system later this year that will allow fans to purchase seats that season ticket holders are not going to take up. Arsenal have decided to run the system in-house rather than use a ticket agency.
Becks has eye on England
paul.kelso@guardian.co.uk

Arsenal look to fill empty seats at 'full' stadium

Paul Kelso
Thursday February 15, 2007
The Guardian

Arsenal have confirmed the suspicions of many visitors to the Emirates Stadium this season, admitting that the club routinely declares misleading attendance figures for home games.
Regular visitors to the new stadium, including season ticket holders and reporters, have noted that, while attendance figures give the impression that it is at or close to its 60,500 capacity, the reality is that at times numerous seats have been empty. Sunday's game against Wigan Athletic was a case in point, with the official figure of 60,049 at odds with the large number of empty seats.

The club confirmed yesterday that the figure announced was for tickets sold rather than actual attendance and that on average as many as 3% of ticket holders - more than 1,800 people - did not take up their seats. The number of no-shows reflects the increase in corporate season ticket holders at the stadium and the club will trial a buy-back system later this year that will allow fans to purchase seats that season ticket holders are not going to take up. Arsenal have decided to run the system in-house rather than use a ticket agency.
Becks has eye on England
paul.kelso@guardian.co.uk

"arsenal in fan paying for ticket but not showing up shocker.
white elephant predictions come true."

Arsene Wenger is thrilled to have William Gallas back in his Arsenal Football Club squad.
The French defender has been sidelined since injuring a thigh in November, yet he has been included in the squad to face Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup this weekend.
"He can bring his experience, we are in the final sprint of the season and to have him back is a big boost," Wenger told Sky Sports. "He is a winner, he wants to win, he loves to win, and he is a competitive player.
“I am very happy to have him back. He will not be 100 per cent when you have been out for so long, but the way to get back to 100 per cent is to play. Once he is in the squad it does not make a difference, he is capable to play."

According to Arsène Wenger, practice does not necessarily make perfect when it comes to penalties.

The Frenchman has experienced spot-kick highs and lows during his time in charge at Arsenal. His side lost the UEFA Cup Final to Galatasaray on penalties seven years ago but beat Manchester United in a shoot-out at the FA Cup Final in 2005.

Wenger watched in disbelief as Gilberto and Julio Baptista both missed from 12 yards during the FA Cup replay at Bolton in midweek. Arsenal's 3-1 extra-time victory allowed the Frenchman to smile about it when the issue was raised at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

However, Wenger admits there is little he can do to rectify the problem on the training pitches.

"What is unbelievable about penalties is the more you practise them the worse it gets!" he said. "I don't think I've experienced two different misses from two different players in the same game before, I don't remember that. But I don't worry about it at all.

"When we played against Manchester United in the FA Cup Final we didn't practise penalties, but the next day we put them all in. Perhaps we should stop practising. You cannot recreate exactly the same psychological conditions in the game, nor the impact the goalkeeper has on the day.

"For example, in the FA Cup Final the day before I practised with the goalkeepers. [Jens] Lehmann didn't stop one and [Manuel] Almunia stopped them, but
the next day Lehmann had an outstanding game and stopped a penalty which made us win. It's very difficult to predict."

So what happens if Arsenal get a penalty in the future? Would Gilberto get a chance to redeem himself? "Gilberto may be happy to carry on, but I'm not sure if I'm happy," smiled Wenger.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy

The Roundy, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼