The Munster Rugby Thread 2019/20

Apparently they got in some hot water a few years back trying to rail road young fellas into taking courses in UL
I thought that still went on ?

IIRC it was a couple of lads from CBC who turned down the wonderful offer of an academy place because they would have been forced to go to UL. Not 100% sure they may have gotten into the Leinster academy...that or a French club, something like that anyway. It's a mess anyway.

Ah, i read "shifting players from other colleges" as enticing a student from UCC to move to UL on the promise of an academy contract

and "just going to college" as enticing school age kids to head to UL because its in limerick regardless of their contract status.

I heard specifically that Paul O'Connell intervenied on behalf of a for Cork players a few years ago.no idea what players
I think that's why they were supposed to be building that half arsed academy building behind the North Terrace ? Always thinking small.

100% La Rochelle.
I always support whoever is playing against Leinster, the fact ROG is the head coach of this week's opposition just enforces that.

I can never understand people getting their knickers in a twist because "you're not supporting an Irish team".
It's called a rivalry FFS.
What, would you prefer the placid alternative? 🤢
No thanks.

F**k Leinster.

Yep, no qualms in supporting La Rochelle for that game. I read there that the Bulls are sending a B Team to Northampton. Pretty much all their Boks will stay at home. Understandable too, they've just come back from a 2 game trip up here. Shipped a few injuries beating Lyon, need to fly up a few days later, play a QF and then be back home to play Munster the following weekend.

The benefactor stuff is true but the operation is badly run and needs to be completely overhauled by professionals who know what they are doing. It's amazing how an organisation can be turning down money on renaming Thomond Park year after year and profess being cash strapped.

I see a lot of the old mistakes with the academy in terms of making the original representative panel and not getting off it until u20....or the newer one when you get a leg over others if daddy has already played for Munster..

Munster Rugby are extremely well run and routinely punch above their weight in terms of the money behind French club rugby.

Amazing that you have fellas pontificating about this kind of stuff immediately after a loss 🙄

Apparently they got in some hot water a few years back trying to rail road young fellas into taking courses in UL

Do you mind if I ask where you've heard that from?

I know guys of 18 who have been offered contracts and turned them down as they just didnt view it as realistic that theyd make the break through. These would be fellas who have represented Ireland at underage grade.

Theres never been any 'pressure' to do a course in UL that I've heard of.

Do you mind if I ask where you've heard that from?

I know guys of 18 who have been offered contracts and turned them down as they just didnt view it as realistic that theyd make the break through. These would be fellas who have represented Ireland at underage grade.

Theres never been any 'pressure' to do a course in UL that I've heard of.
I heard it from a fella who was involved in Coaching one of the city clubs U20s, it was 5 or 6 years ago now. Very possible that it no longer happens but that is the story i heard.

Specifically that Paul O'Connell intervened on behalf of a LC student who was being asked to choose his CAO course wisely.

Very possible its just a yarn but it is what i heard.

Incidentally Heard similar enough about Ultan Dillane, this would have been in Anthony Foley's time so.what 10 years or so ago. When he was making waves at Tralee, Munster offered him an Academy contract and Connaght offered him a full Contract. He went with the sensible opion and Foley gave him the "have you no pride in the jersey" schtick, when all that was on the table was 12k or whatever it was at the time. that was from a relative who has been a Tralee club man for 50 years.

Maybe things are better now. I hope so

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

26th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Underground Ovation: Open Deck Night

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼