Sully changes mind!!

He never actually siad he was retiring from club hurling in the first place!

That notion came from a mis-leading headline in a Sunday Independant article a few months ago, the journalist in question is more used to updating us on the latest goings-on of Gerald Kean et al and was well out of her depth talking about sport im afraid!!

Look the reason Sully retired from inter county hurling was because he felt he couldn't play full back anymore. He met with DW and explained this to him but asked him if DW saw him up the field i.e centre forward or full forward and DW said no. Thats why he walked away. I'd be surprised if DW did a u turn. Apparently he's well happy(and fit) playing rugby and will continue playing hurling with Cloyne and Ballintotis in Soccer. Be interesting to see if he'll wear the helmet that he publicly said he wouldn't wear!!

He met with DW and explained this to him but asked him if DW saw him up the field i.e centre forward or full forward and DW said no. Thats why he walked away. !!

That's all well and good Liathroidi but that was at a time when management was looking to establish themselves, their authority and direction.
with all that had gone on before if a senior player with iconic status amongst the supporters was reported to be delivering ultimatums on team selection and strategy then it would have possibly been see to undermine the new regime. So DW took a hardline stance and was in hindsight probably correct to do so.
But now with the benefit of hindsight coupled with the knowledge that we are clearly bereft of any leadership in the forward division, a salient point that surely won't be lost on DW after the woeful display in summer 09 then the point is that should Sully establish his credentials playing in the forwards for Cloyne then he should be considered on that as stand alone and on its merits only.
My point is {and it's a weak one I know} is that what a bloke brings to a team and a squad is not always and solely predicated on his playing contribution.
Sully would be an invaluable member of the squad. Lads look up to him.
He has a huge amount to offer in terms of experience for our backs and especially the full back line.
He's a fans favourite.
To seem him being introduced even if it was towards the end of a game but with the Tipp game down the Pairc in mind would if nothing else stir up fever pitch among the supporters, that in turn in my view would give a great boost to the team.
And can you frickin imagine if he managed to get a score [goal/point] with the game in the melting pot..
Following sport at all levels is about romance. Overcoming the odds.
There's nothing like a comeback to stir up those kinds of emotions..
Come on Sully.. let's dance

I would agree that he certainly deserves his place on the panel, assuming of course that he maintains the levels of fitness he achieved this year. You would have to agree that DW should prioritise bringing on younger forwards especially through the league but Sully's experience would certainly be worth having as an option on the bench at worst...

Calm down everybody, this latest story came from a flippant remark that Ronan Curran made at a photocall yesterday where he said that Sully would continue to play CLUB hurling next year (we all knew that anyway ffs!!!!).

Dont be getting carried away thinking he'll be back playing with Cork next year (read Liathroidi Mor's post to find out why) because as much as Id love to see him playing in the forwards for us in 2010 I seriously doubt it's gonna happen!!!

He has more to offer Cork but I'm not sure if he's an intercounty standard forward- saw him playing up front in the league a few years ago and he was a yard or two off the pace. Love to see him back tho.

In the SHC against the Barrs this year he was up against Ronan Curran and scored some excellent points off him in the first half. Definitely worth considering as an impact sub.
To be honest, he looked a lot sharper and more skillful than Pebbles who, as with Horgan, Croniin, Fraggy, etc have failed to deliver at inter county level

Either way if last year is anything to go by there'll be constant speculation about his return! Would be a huge shock if he came back..

Any idea when the panel for next year will be named?

Cork could do with sully in full foward....we lack the abilitly to win clean ball there....Cussen would be even better...but i'd prefer him to help us win the football first.

It says nothing about him coming back from retirement, it just says he'll be wearing a helmet for the next few years if he continues to play on for the next few years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼