RTE: Radio, Telefis, Empty pockets

I used to listen to his radio show around the time of the financial crisis and he could be funny at times.

But he was never really comfortable talking to ordinary people, he would patronise and fake sincerity, and unlike Pat Kenny or Gay Byrne, he never really asked anybody any hard questions.

That's probably partly why there were never any real LLS controversies while he was hosting it and RTÉ saw him as a safe pair of hands for light entertainment, which is fair enough
Ive seen the LLS a handful of times in the last few years, whenever my mum is up to visit or I'm home! I thought Tubs was grand, the quality of guests were the bigger issue.. I mean what are you supposed to ask one of the cast of Mrs Browns Boys, or some woman who's daughter is dying of cancer, or a musician no one even knows?

Ive seen Kielty twice and thought he was very poor. He has that really annoying lilting Daniel O Donnell accent and pace of speech going on, and all of the delivery feels totally static.. like he has a few tricks with over emphasis that he continually uses over and over. His guests are no better so the content is the same shite, but I cant stand the sound of the show anymore now either!

Just bin the programme - its crap, only watched by a certain demographic, and half of them out of pure habit

Ive seen the LLS a handful of times in the last few years, whenever my mum is up to visit or I'm home! I thought Tubs was grand, the quality of guests were the bigger issue.. I mean what are you supposed to ask one of the cast of Mrs Browns Boys, or some woman who's daughter is dying of cancer, or a musician no one even knows?

Ive seen Kielty twice and thought he was very poor. He has that really annoying lilting Daniel O Donnell accent and pace of speech going on, and all of the delivery feels totally static.. like he has a few tricks with over emphasis that he continually uses over and over. His guests are no better so the content is the same shite, but I cant stand the sound of the show anymore now either!

Just bin the programme - its crap, only watched by a certain demographic, and half of them out of pure habit

And yet Tommy Tiernan runs a great show doing exactly that kind of thing

Tommy Tiernan wouldn't work presenting the Late Late show. He is not a presenter just good at conversations. Always thought he was very overrated as a comedian. Patrick Kielty is a big improvement on Ryan Tubridy. RTE don't have any talent so they need to bring it in. Hence Patrick Kielty.

In general I think RTE are sunk. Ratings are terrible for most of their programmes and most of their presenters are disliked by the public. It has been badly managed for years. RTE should be scrapped and replaced by a new State broadcaster under new management with a narrower remit. The public do not trust RTE or RTE management and it is time for them to go.

Yes but the call to make RTE go rests with the government. Now have you seen just how well RTE have responded to the Harris news, making him out as the greatest thing to happen to the country since Leo the Liar.
So anyone else confident this FFG failure will shut down its main propaganda mouthpiece ??

Read this earlier

Reckless spending at RTE needs to end if broadcaster is to survive
Business Post 31/03/24

RTE would be bust if it weren't for the provision of emergency funding by the state. It's own board discussed in November how it was at risk of reckless trading and potentially unable to maintain existing services.

Last October, the annual customer experience survey carried out by the CX Company ranked RTE as the worst major brand in Ireland.

In the annual study, based on research from Amárach and carried out among a representative cross-section of Irish consumers, RTE finished last out of 150 well-known brands.

RTE's overall customer experience score fell by 17 per cent. The level of trust among the general public for the national broadcaster fell by 25 per cent. Cathy Summers of the CX Company said the survey's findings were a "new low for RTE. Trust is at the heart of every customer interaction and without trust there is no customer relationship. It is built up over time and should never be taken for granted".

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼