Ripping up cobblestones in Galway. F F S

Guy on George hook just there telling how we must do this. I'm assuming our learned colleagues are 'helping' a few scuts who have no responsibility for walking properly. He said also that it wasn't installed correctly first day, failed to elude to anyone fired for the contract or if the contractor was subsequently barred from more contracts but I guess we know about that.

All over Europe people dodge tram tracks and ancient cobble streets and guess what it's works! But hey... Over here we'll pour concrete on the problem.

Stay classy Irleland.

Guy on George hook just there telling how we must do this. I'm assuming our learned colleagues are 'helping' a few scuts who have no responsibility for walking properly. He said also that it wasn't installed correctly first day, failed to elude to anyone fired for the contract or if the contractor was subsequently barred from more contracts but I guess we know about that.

All over Europe people dodge tram tracks and ancient cobble streets and guess what it's works! But hey... Over here we'll pour concrete on the problem.

Stay classy Irleland.

Have you actually walked on the street in question?

The cobbles aren't ancient. That may be part of the problem. Oh, and poor street surfaces cause injury and lawsuits all over Europe...

Have you actually walked on the street in question?

The cobbles aren't ancient. That may be part of the problem. Oh, and poor street surfaces cause injury and lawsuits all over Europe...

not in Brussels.

they would dig up the cobbled footpaths and leave the piles next to the hole, no signs, or barriers.

In cork, they would be lining up to fall in to the hole.

Stay classy Irleland.

Ireland! Tis deshperate!

No other country has any problems!

I'm neither dissing our fair land nor bigging up others. I'm merely keyboard warrioring about this crap.
- no I haven't seen the street in question
- yes I'm aware there's bullshit to be found in other parts of the globe
It's just that these stories arise with all too much frequency with the same cast of characters
Dodgy builder/developer (paved it badly)
Fool civil servant (signs off on it)
Skanger (takes the 'tumble')
Legal system (robs us)
Political/ planning process (fails to address matters)
This was not to tar all, for there are for example some nice skangers out there. More in frustration at the same old results from the same old issues
E.g years ago a (forward thinking) proposal to put trees down Oliver p street was abandoned in favour of those dopey poles (metal ones - no offence meant) because tree roots could damage pavements etc. Again something other European cities don't have an issue with.
Anyway..... I'll get my coat.

Little point in trying to back-date Ireland's street scapes, they're already ruined with decades of ill thought out developments.

Putting trees in a confined street isn't necessarily a retrograde step. It's just a challenge, the kind of challenge Irish builders overcome all over the world all the time. I'd say those stainless poles (on whose lighted tops has dimmed years ago) might have been just a lazy alternative, It could be proposed of course that it had been a bold move that didn't come off (I'm not against bold architecture) but I suspect not. With the net taking much of the shopping spend for the future we need to rethink the city pretty fast.

These aren't cobbles at all, they're stone setts.
http://connachttribune.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Shop-Street.jpg

And this article suggests that they're not laid properly with a camber into the drains in the first place, which being Ireland, home of the half-arsed job, I'm not really surprised.
http://connachttribune.ie/no-funding-for-extensive-work-required-on-shop-street-surface-501/

In the uk, several towns and cities have had enough of compo claims and are covering or removing them.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...d-safety-spells-the-end-for-cobblestones.html

In Cork, the smooth modern paving around Oliver P street into Pana is VERY slippy in the wet, esp if you have leather soled shoes.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

4th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Danny O Leary

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼