Referendum on Family & Care

What way are you voting

• Total voters

Hank Scorpio

Set for the 8th of March.

The 39th Amendment, which deals with the definition of family, proposes to amend Article 41.1.1 to insert the words "whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships".

It also proposes the deletion of the words "on which the Family is founded" from Article 41.3.1.

The 40th Amendment deals with the role of women in the home.

It proposes to delete Article 41.2 and replace it with an Article 42B, which reads: "The State recognises that the provision of care, by members of a family to one another by reason of the bonds that exist among them, gives to society a support without which the common good cannot be achieved, and shall strive to support such provision."

As some have pointed out the lack of clarity on what constitutes a 'durable relationship' may lead to all sorts of issues.

How do you see yourself voting?

8bHAyi.gif

I hope Matlock will participate in the debate as she has legal training which might be a help. I would like to know what consists of a durable relationship. ? For instance is a relationship between 3 or more persons accepatable.? There will have to be many changes to the tax laws to cover things like inheritance etc. (( i know you all were following the threesome relationship between Sian Osborne David Hayde and Una Healy. I think that Una wisely left this relationship as all the surrounding legalities are not in place) So in summarry we can include the wording durable relationship but it should be better defined and the legislation about this should be outlined.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Munster Hurling Championship: Cork V Clare

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼