Random Trivia

Last Tuesday, Arsenal made a little bit of football history. London became the first city to provide three different semi-finalists in the Champion's Cup/League, the others being Spurs ('62), and Chelsea (the last two seasons).
Which reminds of a question I discussed with some friends a while back - which cities have had two different semi-finalists in the Champion's Cup/League? London aside, I'm certain of two others, but there are another half-dozen or so that I think might have had two clubs.
Any thoughts?

Lamps said:
milan,glasgow

and i'd assume madrid but not sure what year atletico made it

I think Atletico made it to the semis in '58-'59, the year Real beat them (first every CC derby).
If that's right, then we have three. Any more offers?

STEVIEG said:
And London still hasn't had a finalist
Though that will surely now change

Maybe. It'll be tighter than the QF, I'd say.
Interestingly, none of Europe's biggest capitals have ever had a finalist - London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Moscow...

Don't recall Rangers reaching a Champions League final.

I'd guess at Bucharest, Milan and Moscow? Eastern European teams did well years ago.

homer jay said:
roma in 1984?

D'oh!. Right you are.

Mon - it's semi-finals I'm thinking of. Rangers, of course, got served 12-4 on aggregate by Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960.
Bucharest, I think, is right: Steau in 1986, and I think Dinamo in 1984 (didn't Liverpool put them out?).
Mosocw, I'm not so sure. Spartak in 19991, but I don't think any other Mosocw club ever made it that far.
Now that I think of it, Belgrade - Partizan in '66, Red Star in '91.

Killyoursons said:
D'oh!. Right you are.

Mon - it's semi-finals I'm thinking of. Rangers, of course, got served 12-4 on aggregate by Eintracht Frankfurt in 1960.
Bucharest, I think, is right: Steau in 1986, and I think Dinamo in 1984 (didn't Liverpool put them out?).
Mosocw, I'm not so sure. Spartak in 19991, but I don't think any other Mosocw club ever made it that far.
Now that I think of it, Belgrade - Partizan in '66, Red Star in '91.

I read finalist instead of semi-finalist. Rangers won the Cup Winners Cup the year after us winning the European Cup in 67.

P.S. Know a bookies taking odds on that?

MonTheHoops said:
I read finalist instead of semi-finalist. Rangers won the Cup Winners Cup the year after us winning the European Cup in 67.

P.S. Know a bookies taking odds on that?

Heh, heh. In 19991, it'll probably be Dalian Shide playing Betelgeuse Rovers in the final of the Intergalactic Hyperleague (leagues will have finals then - mark my words...)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼