Pubs reopening June 29th

Are publicans margins that tight that they really need to pass on these tiny increases to consumers?

If you slap 10c on a pint and you sell 100 pints, that gives you a grand total of €10 extra revenue. You'd be worried for any business that is so reliant on an extra €10.

You'd have to sell 10,000 pints for that 10c to even turn into a grand, which wouldn't even cover half the wages of a full time barkeep. And what pub in Cork is realistically selling 10k pints a week?

Given how sensitive consumers have become to prices following a number of increases, surely you wouldn't risk driving away anyone for the sake of 10c on a pint?

Granted I am not a publican so I could be way off, but I would have thought that in this difficult environment you'd rather absorb the increase rather than potentially alienate even more customers.

Furthermore, if you decide to absorb the increase but the pub next door increases their prices, surely you'll get a bounce in business that will offset not adding on the extra few cents?

Last edited:
Are publicans margins that tight that they really need to pass on these tiny increases to consumers?

If you slap 10c on a pint and you sell 100 pints, that gives you a grand total of €10 extra revenue. You'd be worried for any business that is so reliant on an extra €10.

You'd have to sell 10,000 pints for that 10c to even turn into a grand, which wouldn't even cover half the wages of a full time barkeep. And what pub in Cork is realistically selling 10k pints a week?

Given how sensitive consumers have become to prices following a number of increases, surely you wouldn't risk driving away anyone for the sake of 10c on a pint?

Granted I am not a publican so I could be way off, but I would have thought that in this difficult environment you'd rather absorb the increase rather than potentially alienate even more customers.

Furthermore, if you decide to absorb the increase but the pub next door increases their prices, surely you'll get a bounce in business that will offset not adding on the extra few cents?

Are consumers sensitive enough to worry about 10cent though?
Is an extra 1euro over the course of 10 pints really going to keep people out of the pubs?
If 1euro is enough to make or break a persons week then let's be honest, their probably not going to be in the pub anyway.

Is an extra 1euro over the course of 10 pints really going to keep people out of the pubs?
If 1euro is enough to make or break a persons week then let's be honest, their probably not going to be in the pub anyway.
👍
Irish people have always been able to find money for drink.

Well according to the comments section on CorkBeo, this 10c is now going to cause people to boycott diageo products while also avoiding greedy pubs.

Not by itself, no. But in most places it's already gone up around €1, or more, than it was before the pandemic. And it's still going up.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼