People who change colours

Went to school with a fella for years who supported Everton. We became good buddies and the whole Everton connection made it easier to find common ground etc. Then in the 1996/97 season, the fucker decided he would be a Utd fan from there on. Gave me his Everton top n' all. I felt utterly betrayed. Funnily enough we didnt really get on very well after that. Even his brother who also supports Everton lost the plot with him. I saw him there at the weekend when i was home, I was walking through Mahon Point and there he was with his Utd top on.....the dirty fecker. Nothing against Utd fans, just cant stand turncoats. Does anyone else know a turncoat? lets see how prevelant this problem is.

a lot of the biys i went to school with changed their colours. leeds, spurs, liverpool fans all turning to man u when they started winning in the 90's. then years on they proclaim that they supported man u forever. fuckin piss take

my cousins used to support Liverpool around the time when United beat them in the '96 Cup Final. One of them is 3 years younger than me the other is 7. During the Treble season 1 started to support United & the other Chelsea. Since then I dont discuss English soccer with them.

I don't remember any turncoats.

I remember a lot of guys who were Liverpool fans who switched off until they won the Champions League a couple of years back. I remember another who supported Newcastle fiercely 10 years ago who doesn't seem to be into football at all now too.

I was a Liverpool fan till I was 6 i think, i only supported them cos all my mates did. I always supported Forest though, i made them my 1 and only english team when i was 6 back in '88... Never regretted it since

..two brothers of mine, one a bit older, one a bit younger, followed Liverpool and Arsenal respectively from about the ages of about 4 or 5 in the late seventies up to about the ages of 18 or so and then both switched allegiances.
Both had been over to a few matches at Highbury etc and didn't really fancy it. The Liverpool older brother switched to Leeds when they were in division two around about 1989, ..which was a fuckin disaster for me as Liverpool had all those leagues through childhood and then when he switched to a lower league side they got promoted and robbed us of the league in '92!!! ..ha.

The younger one switched from Arsenal, to having Arsenal and Sunderland, and then to just Sunderland for the last ten to fifteen years.

so there you two actual cases of fans downgrading their clubs.

ive followed arsenal since i was 5/6. through the "dark ages".
there was a time i followed cork city more and would pick turners cross or bishopstown over a trip to highbury/watch game on tv.
Ill be a gooner till i die, even if they expired.
I do watch sunderland a lot since keane took them over.
Ill watch anyone. im hoping its an all england champions league final so i wont have to root for any1 as an english club will win it regardless.

Im hardcore arsenal but i did celebrate utds champions league win in 99. I did celebrate the pools win in 2005.

Arsenal fan 1st, footie fan close 2nd.

followed west ham since i worked there, didn't follow anyone before that, have been "encouraged" by certain members here to give up on west ham if i move home and follow cork city.

whats worse, turncoats or those who encourage others to do so?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Love Lies Bleeding (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼