Northern Ireland Elections 2017

Although polls aren't as reliable as the once were it's very difficult to see how anything other than a DUP victory (most seats) with SF in second place.

Are they going to work together?

Surely we're looking at direct rule from Westminster for the foreseeable future?

Ah go on answer mine first................

I think the DUP will win most seats just, SF second and the Assembly will be brought back up after a prolonged negotiation.

Ah go on answer mine first................

I think the DUP will win most seats just, SF second and the Assembly will be brought back up after a prolonged negotiation.

I really don't know. I asked two questions in the op.

Can SF/DUP work together?

Or will we see direct rule?

Those are the likely outcomes.

Considering SF pulled out because AF refused to step aside, and she is still her party leader, then SF can't in any credibility go back into power sharing with them atm.

So for me the most likelihood is direct rule for the foreseeable future.

Unless another power sharing agreement can be brought about with other parties. It would be great imo if that could happen.

I think SF/IRA will just shade it over the DUP at this election. When that happens, Arlene will be forced to step aside. That's the only way the Shinner's will negotiate.

Otherwise it's direct rule from the Mainland.

there is a growing apathy among many nationalists who may abstain rather than vote SF, many feel SF have pandered to DUP for too long, some forecast a below 50% turnout, i see direct rule for a while and not just a few months,

...your guess is as good as mine as they say, the result might surprise me after all Brexit and Trump did, just cannot see SF/O'Neill working with that contemptible brute Foster and her 'militia', loathed and all as he was by some/many McGuinness plodded along carefully and after a fashion the Assembly worked, to my mind it's all taken a step or two maybe several backwards and more trenches dug...Direct Rule would be an anathema to any British Government who be shot of N.I. in a heartbeat, that, however is not going to happen anytime soon. If ever the DUP needed a united front along with SF if you like in the face of the calamitous Brexit it surely must be now

I really don't know. I asked two questions in the op.

Can SF/DUP work together?

Or will we see direct rule?

Those are the likely outcomes.

Considering SF pulled out because AF refused to step aside, and she is still her party leader, then SF can't in any credibility go back into power sharing with them atm.

So for me the most likelihood is direct rule for the foreseeable future.

Unless another power sharing agreement can be brought about with other parties. It would be great imo if that could happen.

Arlene is only being supported so as not to give in to the SF narrative.
DUP seem to be aware a change in leadership is required.

Plus O'Neill makes it easier because it will be new with new.

If the Tories pull the plug, they are going to piss off unionists as much nationalists.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

James Keegan

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼