Most Overrated Sportspeople

Who's yours?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3 noms each, we'll discuss for a few days and then poll.

I'm going with

1. Lionel Messi. Great man to score a hattrick in front of a packed Nou Camp against FC Rioja being marked by Arantxa Sanchez or whoever. The two biggest games of his life in the last world cup he didn't want to fucking know. Pwned by Ron Vlaar in a world cup semi final FFS. He's no Diego. Jamie Vardy with shoes.

2. Diarmuid Connolly. Again great man to kick points off left and right against counties with a population the size of an apartment block in Sandyford. Not so smart against the big boys and usually lucky to stay on the pitch. Footballer of the Year every year. If the year ended in July.

3. Conrad McGarnagle. A controversial one. Possibly bending the definition of sportsperson. And rated most of all by himself but "Ireland's Greatest Sportsperson" getting the shit kicked out of him by some stoner with a few days notice? And now he wants to fight Money? Come off the stage FFS. Katie Taylor would beat him to within an inch of his life before he tapped out.

No team or group nominations allowed. Have at it gents.

Not having Messi. He was injured at the WC. He has turned up in every CL final and has a very good clasico record. Ronaldo more of a bottler for me.

Beckham and Rooney for me. Beckham was some striker of a ball but of he was an ugly mutt he would not have been as fawned over by the media. Rooney has been going backwards for five years now.

Jamie Heaslip too.

Not having Messi. He was injured at the WC. He has turned up in every CL final and has a very good clasico record. Ronaldo more of a bottler for me.

Beckham and Rooney for me. Beckham was some striker of a ball but of he was an ugly mutt he would not have been as fawned over by the media. Rooney has been going backwards for five years now.

Jamie Heaslip too.

Ronaldo has scored as many in (fewer) CL finals as Messi mate.

And without any goofballs either.

Sweet thread m8.

See also Franck Henry Pierre Ribéry.

franck-ribery.jpg

A complete fraud. About as effective as he is good looking.
The most one footed "skillful" player in world football.

See also Dean Rock. People talk about him as he's going to be the second coming. He's 26 ffs.

Rooney: Possibly the most overrated Englishman of all time and that's saying something. He plays three good games in a row every 12 months and lives off the back of them. Would be the greatest player of all time if zero hour contracts were a thing.

Gerrard: Rooney with better PR.

George Best: Ryan Giggs with an alcohol problem. Washed up at 27. If Giggs had wasted his talent like Best did he'd have gotten the same plaudits Best has.

Wayne Rooney - Not only is he vastly over-rated, but in having to play him limits both United and in particular England unless he has one of those days he's in super form. When he's not in the mood, which is 5 times out of 6, he is very average.

Theo Walcott - Worthless waste of money. Arsenal get better value out of the bench he sits on given he's on it so often.

Raheem Stirling - the greatest transfer in history. For Liverpool. A headless chicken, no guts, no skill, no end product, can only kick with one foot, can't head the ball, doesn't track back, can't tackle. Worth 50m in the premier league. Sums up what's wrong with soccer.

Simon Zebo - Can't for the life off me see anything he offers.

Sure everyone thinks Rooney's shit ffs. And have done for 4 years. Nobody rates him.

This thread is for exposing the real frauds. Ribery's a great call. As is Best and Sterling. Although Sterling is a kid tbf.

Not having Messi. He was injured at the WC. He has turned up in every CL final and has a very good clasico record...

I'd rate Messi as quite highly, but considering people are saying (due to recency bias) that he's better than Maradona, he's over-rated.

(Do we have to have the Maradona v Messi argument again?)

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:30pm

More events ▼