Junior A Hurling Championship 2024

Yeah saw the final result with Buttevant, makes a mockery of the competition. Those lads shouldn’t be anywhere near Junior B, but wasn’t there talk last year that they wanted relegation to get the hurling out of the way early for the football.

Farcical.
Buttevant were beaten by 20 points in all their championship games at junior a last year. You hardly expect them to stay at junior a when they are getting beat that comprehensively

Fair enough they had two bad defeats at the start.

Though if they actually made an attempt to stay up, I might have some bit of sympathy for them but they clearly wanted to go down, they gave a walkover to Ballyhea in their final group game instead of having a go (Ballyhea having also been well beaten in their other group games also).

Buttevant are more than capable of beating the likes of Araglen (who lost all their games but didn’t go down) and Ballyhea and they’re better than a lot of other Junior A teams around the county as is.

There’s no way Buttevant should be in the same grade as a team like Rathpeacon (who I know are weak even by Junior B standards, but it still makes a mockery of the competition).

Fair enough they had two bad defeats at the start.

Though if they actually made an attempt to stay up, I might have some bit of sympathy for them but they clearly wanted to go down, they gave a walkover to Ballyhea in their final group game instead of having a go (Ballyhea having also been well beaten in their other group games also).

Buttevant are more than capable of beating the likes of Araglen (who lost all their games but didn’t go down) and Ballyhea and they’re better than a lot of other Junior A teams around the county as is.

There’s no way Buttevant should be in the same grade as a team like Rathpeacon (who I know are weak even by Junior B standards, but it still makes a mockery of the competition).
No idea about Buttevant personally but a team that loses every game has to be relegated imo.
In Junior A across the county there is a problem in that you have too many clubs still playing A and the gap between the top few and the rest in each division is huge.
A further grade is required imo and the possibility of amalgamating divisions into regions to get more teams playing competitive games at their standard.

No idea about Buttevant personally but a team that loses every game has to be relegated imo.
In Junior A across the county there is a problem in that you have too many clubs still playing A and the gap between the top few and the rest in each division is huge.
A further grade is required imo and the possibility of amalgamating divisions into regions to get more teams playing competitive games at their standard.
I do agree somebit, I’ve said before that I’d gladly scrap the divisions in favour of a county wide system of 32 or so teams (bearing in mind there was 70 teams playing Junior A hurling last year), add a few levels below that with multiple promotions between them and I think it would serve all clubs better in the long run. There is some serious gaps at times.

Divisions will never go for that unfortunately though.

They only lost every game because they conceded the game against Ballyhea, who they would have been fancied to beat. They beat Ballyhea and Fermoy in the league this year already, both of which are Junior A. 2 years ago they gave Dromina and Kilshannig great games in championship, only losing by a few points in both. Then the football manager took over the hurlers and it went pear shaped in the hurling. Strange one

Been watching teams over the last number of weeks etc and it’s great to see some of the smaller club taking big strides and look to be making huge improvements such as kilbree ballinora passage harbour rovers.
Tracton despite relegation last summer looks to have been the best thing to happen to them. They’re competing with some big clubs in div5 league and this should stand hugely come championship. Also, I see their underage is beginning to go well with some nice players come through.
Even though this will be more than a tough task to escape junior within there first year, there’s alot of teams that will put it up to them id like to think.

Been watching teams over the last number of weeks etc and it’s great to see some of the smaller club taking big strides and look to be making huge improvements such as kilbree ballinora passage harbour rovers.
Tracton despite relegation last summer looks to have been the best thing to happen to them. They’re competing with some big clubs in div5 league and this should stand hugely come championship. Also, I see their underage is beginning to go well with some nice players come through.
Even though this will be more than a tough task to escape junior within there first year, there’s alot of teams that will put it up to them id like to think.
Even clubs like Dromina. They don’t even have an underage yet they are able to have a say in the North Cork championship. It’s great in fairness to them

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : Susan O' Neill

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼