It took Gaza to put Gardai in the City Centre

100% town a lot tamer with circa 12 k people in and out of the pubs on a given sat night than it is on a Tuesday afternoon where it is without exaggeration lawless ,this is because there is more private security than Gardai and this projects onto the streets ,you do t have this cover by day especially during the week and it’s taking an awful toll on the city , Today and I must say it’s being building for weeks now the extra garda presence due to the Gaza protests have have a huge positive knock on effect , This is basic policing ,why we can’t have it every day is soul destroying for all trying to enjoy the amenity of the city ,the visitors and those running businesses, In terms of supports for smes there should be a rebate for having to have private security in the absence of any real policing,however today shows how easily it can be fixed .
One of the reasons we can’t have guards on the beat is our courtrooms- it’s appalling that guards are in inside the district court for the day. Such a simple fix and would alleviate so much pressure.

I see your point 100%, but the undesirables undoubtedly still float around, do they just stand out less on a day like today?

Solid point re SME.

I’d tend to agree I’ve seen 2 violent incidents in town recently both were during the week approx 7pm.

The city has been allowed to deteriorate both visibly by a lack of care and from an anti social perspective.

I had 2 local politicians call into me the other evening and they received a 35min rant from me and another neighbour on these very subjects. I doubt they will be back
Crusty the thing is we have abdicated policing in the city center to private security by night to a fair degree,this is only going to become more apparent as time goes by ,the parallel between how the state abandoned housing to the private sector and what’s happening in the same fashion with people’s basic safety needs to be recognised as an emergency.

Let’s say for a minute you were Garda top brass and you magicked 40 extra gardai into cork city center ,
Immediately your crime figures for assault and robbery would actually double on paper even though the actual events would decline immediately,I wonder does a senior man with an eye on promotion is willing to grasp that nettle ,in other words officials are not willing to allow events happening with private security become actual crime figures on their watch .
You’d wonder .

Just left town,I’ve never seen so many people it the city center as I have seen today ,all kinds of people enjoying themselves and no sense of menace, There was a handy visible Garda Presence throughout the city , Isn’t it an awful irony that it took genocide in Gaza to bring calm to the streets of Cork , But it begs the question,if you can deploy boots to police a just show of solidarity with the people of Palestine then why can’t you do it every day , The issues in town are always during the day and early evening before private security comes in to play , What a lovely day ,it was like cork 20 years ago ,pity about how it came to be “acc

I’d tend to agree I’ve seen 2 violent incidents in town recently both were during the week approx 7pm.

The city has been allowed to deteriorate both visibly by a lack of care and from an anti social perspective.

I had 2 local politicians call into me the other evening and they received a 35min rant from me and another neighbour on these very subjects. I doubt they will be back
Irish cities will be third world slums soon.

One of the reasons we can’t have guards on the beat is our courtrooms- it’s appalling that guards are in inside the district court for the day. Such a simple fix and would alleviate so much pressure.

I see your point 100%, but the undesirables undoubtedly still float around, do they just stand out less on a day like today?

Solid point re SME.
The undesirables actually have discernible patterns that you d pick up on when you work in the city ,they were not on their patches today ,they were disrupted ,
I counted an extra dozen Gardai that’s all ,what a difference it made

Crusty the thing is we have abdicated policing in the city center to private security by night to a fair degree,this is only going to become more apparent as time goes by ,the parallel between how the state abandoned housing to the private sector and what’s happening in the same fashion with people’s basic safety needs to be recognised as an emergency.

Let’s say for a minute you were Garda top brass and you magicked 40 extra gardai into cork city center ,
Immediately your crime figures for assault and robbery would actually double on paper even though the actual events would decline immediately,I wonder does a senior man with an eye on promotion is willing to grasp that nettle ,in other words officials are not willing to allow events happening with private security become actual crime figures on their watch .
You’d wonder .
I actually hadn’t thought of it from a statics perspective but pawning the responsibility onto the private sector has been a trait of the FG/FF run Ireland for the past decade and longer. Neoliberalism!

The undesirables actually have discernible patterns that you d pick up on when you work in the city ,they were not on their patches today ,they were disrupted ,

Fully agree with that point. City based myself. I see all the characters/undesirable etc. I think that’s why we are all so frustrated with the lack of policing etc, as it is as clear as day for anyone who’s in town frequently. One point I would make, since that foreign business lady was attacked by GPO, there is a Garda presence (on a bicycle) most morning by the GPO

Fully agree with that point. City based myself. I see all the characters/undesirable etc. I think that’s why we are all so frustrated with the lack of policing etc, as it is as clear as day for anyone who’s in town frequently. One point I would make, since that foreign business lady was attacked by GPO, there is a Garda presence (on a bicycle) most morning by the GPO
There is ,the dealers used to circle the goo ,the misfortunes “get paid” and straight out the door and cash into the paw of the scum ,
That one move alone calmed down the zone ,now it took a high profile person to get mugged,
What will happen next is a young Garda will be killed in broad daylight on a tue afternoon on the grand parade ,this is what it will take to get proper policing ,why ?

There is ,the dealers used to circle the goo ,the misfortunes “get paid” and straight out the door and cash into the paw of the scum ,
That one move alone calmed down the zone ,now it took a high profile person to get mugged,
What will happen next is a young Garda will be killed in broad daylight on a tue afternoon on the grand parade ,this is what it will take to get proper policing ,why ?
Tbh, the social media age has f8cked the policing. They can't be arsed dealing with fools that are going to plaster them all over the internet, the rules and regulations around their use of pepper spray is ridiculous, draw their batons, another load of paperwork. They do the right thing ie, the garda that gave the old man a bike during Covid or the one that stopped the three scumbags in Dublin, end up in court or suspended. Morale is the lowest it ever as been and they prefer to sit in the station or just spinning around in patrol cars.
Bring back this lad and give them carte blanche.
ROBO15918.jpg

Tbh, the social media age has f8cked the policing. They can't be arsed dealing with fools that are going to plaster them all over the internet, the rules and regulations around their use of pepper spray is ridiculous, draw their batons, another load of paperwork. They do the right thing ie, the garda that gave the old man a bike during Covid or the one that stopped the three scumbags in Dublin, end up in court or suspended. Morale is the lowest it ever as been and they prefer to sit in the station or just spinning around in patrol cars.
Bring back this lad and give them carte blanche.
ROBO15918.jpg
Robocop was some operator,

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
JJ Walsh's, 64 Oliver Plunkett St.

18th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Flake The Gander

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼