Irish Times Sports Columns Comments section-The Best Of

Some absolute fucking gold here lads. Balmpots. Would make some of the lads on here sound like Hugh McIlvanney

In response to Darragh O'Se's article this morning

HarveyRabbit said:
“It changes you as a person”. What does? Surviving crossing the Mediterranean in an overcrowded inflatable? Shivering on the wrong side of a razor-wire fence along with your young family trying to enter the EU? carrying the headless body of your daughter after a car bomb blast in a market in Iraq?

Nope. Losing a football match changes you as a person.

I’d say it must be great to live in Kerry. Ireland is not bad either. On the very Sunday in September 1943 when the ball was been thrown in for the start of the All-Ireland Hurling Final between Cork and Antrim, 2000Km to the east the ovens had broken down in Treblinka so they decided to shoot the Jews instead. The bodies overflowed onto the railway line blocking the troop trains to the Eastern Front. Cork cantered to victory that day

The Jocks are even better, with the amount of lickarsery, namedropping, tenuous connections and attempting to impress with Leaving Cert Rogbish that goes on

connaughtabu said:
Excellent article Gordon, glad to see that Clongowes taught you how to write an essay and so relieved that you didn't use a single nickname!

The last time I saw NZ play was against SA in SA - one of the best matches of the year. The big powerful Bok pack backed up by some stunningly creative backs against a normal AB team. Both sides played some beautiful rugby, but the pace at which NZ played eventually wore the Boks down and they cam out the winners. The ABs are SO fit fro 1 to 15 and in addition they think about the game - clever lineout moves and their hooker strikes for the ball they all hookers did in the old days. So no static grunting packs trying to push the opposition of the ball, with their put in the ball is immediately available at the No8's feet, saving time and energy! Maybe Best should try it for Ireland?
Anyway, I am not sure Ire will get far enough in the tournament to meet the ABs in the RWC, but I hope they do.

Gordon, I would love to hear your opinion on what Ireland's style of play is other than booting the ball up the pitch and hoping got the best?

PaulMarconi said:
@connaughtabu Judging by your handle, I'm guessing you aren't Irish.

Ireland most certainly do not kick and hope. To suggest as much betrays an ignorance of the game or, you are basing that opinion on the last two warm up matches.

Some absolute fucking gold here lads. Balmpots. Would make some of the lads on here sound like Hugh McIlvanney

In response to Darragh O'Se's article this morning

I'd say your man HarveyRabbit is some insufferable twat. Imagine enjoying quiet couple of pints down the local and he comes in.

The Jocks are even better, with the amount of lickarsery, namedropping, tenuous connections and attempting to impress with Leaving Cert Rogbish that goes on

TBF, with the rugger, you generally don't need to get to the comments section for the pure shite - plenty of cringe worthy rogbish in the article itself and it's going to be full on for next few weeks.

Axeyard
"Papé... acknowledged that he may have touched him." May have? Didn't he watch the video? Touched? The video on this page does not show what really happened. Sean O'Brien was molested by Papé. A repulsive act, executed with great cunning.

BrianM
Thought unofficial code in these matters was that "victim" downplayed his suffering. French haven't read script and their reaction, given that Pape is often the aggressor, was hysterical.

longtermfan
@Jonesy
that wasn't a tug on his jersey. That was a catching hold of soft flesh on the right side of O'Brien's waist and squeezing it. Heard it called a crocodile bite elsewhere. Nasty and uncalled for at that stage of a match. Guess Seanie should be glad he got away without 5 broken vertebrae ...

longtermfan
@Jonesy
that wasn't a tug on his jersey. That was a catching hold of soft flesh on the right side of O'Brien's waist and squeezing it. Heard it called a crocodile bite elsewhere. Nasty and uncalled for at that stage of a match. Guess Seanie should be glad he got away without 5 broken vertebrae ...

mrw-to-the-people-who-downvoted-the-jurassic-park-gifs-81540.gif

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

29th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival : Susan O' Neill

Coughlan's, Today @ 7:30pm

More events ▼