Immigration Thread

It is really importang to clarify the issue here. Its not an issue of immigration per-se, but, an issue of our immigration policy.
It is the type of immigrants coming in, and the volume.
I for one am totally against this.
We really are letting the dregs of society into the country, in huge numbers, unvetted.
Yes there are great people coming in also, nurses, doctors, etc, etc. Thats fantastic. No issue.
But we need to not only stop, but also reverse this open-border policy we've been operating for the last 10+ years, by deporting the unvetted.

The government are really so slow to move on anything. You had bus drivers in the media over the weekend telling them they had asylum seekers on their route from Belfast to Dublin. There is a very obvious checkpoint now with all the info and timetables they need and they sit on their holes
Where will the checkpoint be?

Belfast?

The border?

The border has 208 known crossing-points and it could not even be done by 2 police forces and 2 armies during the troubles.

Mary Lou,Michelle O'Neill or the Govt here do not want it for many reasons the main one being that it is impossible so no one is happy.

We also have the GFA.

The Brits are happy to throw their problem at us just to get back at the French and the Brits own failed policies due to Brexit.

The Irish Govt should have anticipated all of this though and beefed up security protocols at airports and ferries etc.

Belfast?

The border?

The border has 208 known crossing-points and it could not even be done by 2 police forces and 2 armies during the troubles.

Mary Lou,Michelle O'Neill or the Govt here do not want it for many reasons the main one bieng that it is impossible so no one is happy.

The Brits are happy to throw their problem at us just to get back at the French and the Brits own failed policies due to Brexit.

The Irish Govt should have anticipated all of this though and beefed up security protocols at airports and ferries etc.
Patrolling the border would the biggest own goal the Irish Government could ever score. We spent the last 8 years fighting against one in the Brexit talks so we’d lose all credibility if we implemented our own one. The British Government and EU Governments would never treat us seriously again.

In my opinion the most effective way of reducing the numbers coming in from the UK would be a quicker turnaround time in processing applications and for those refused asylum deportation. There’ll obviously be cases where we can’t deport but a more streamlined process would in my opinion make those thinking of coming here think twice. Ideally the UK and Ireland would be aligned in their policy.

Patrolling the border would the biggest own goal the Irish Government could ever score. We spent the last 8 years fighting against one in the Brexit talks so we’d lose all credibility if we implemented our own one. The British Government and EU Governments would never treat us seriously again.

In my opinion the most effective way of reducing the numbers coming in from the UK would be a quicker turnaround time in processing applications and for those refused asylum deportation. There’ll obviously be cases where we can’t deport but a more streamlined process would in my opinion make those thinking of coming here think twice. Ideally the UK and Ireland would be aligned in their policy.
They will never close the border as that is impossible.

The delays in the system are just shocking and the ammount of appeals etc. and they appear to be trying to speed it up but I have little of no confidence in them as there are so many Govt Departments involved in this at every stage.

Until there is a change in Govt in the UK later this year things could well improve.

Belfast?

The border?

Mary Lou,Michelle O'Neill or the Govt here do not want it for many reasons the main one being that it is impossible so no one is happy.

We also have the GFA.

The buses don’t use 208 crossing points, just one. I never said it would stop all of them but it is one avenue that could be cut out immediately.

The government are really so slow to move on anything. You had bus drivers in the media over the weekend telling them they had asylum seekers on their route from Belfast to Dublin. There is a very obvious checkpoint now with all the info and timetables they need and they sit on their holes

They have been sat on their hands letting this get steadily worse for the last two years.

There will be plenty more protests. If they think cracking down on people protesting in their communities or in the capital is going to be a vote getter then they are even more useless than they have evidenced thus far.

The usual suspects rabbiting on about the vast majority of people's dissatisfaction on this being far right or fringe just sound increasingly ridiculous.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Horgan Brothers: Princes Of The Picture Theatre
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

30th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

Centre Stage School Footworks 2024

Cork Opera House, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼