Fota

Went to FOTA yesterday, being on the dole, I had nothing else to do:) Best part was the cheetah run..... I'd love to have seen more cats.

My big complaint is this: The water was disgraceful: where the seals/swans are there was a 4 pack can plastic yoke, and various chocolate wrappers!

It was great to go out, had fun anyway, got a badge, hung out with the very sociable Lemurs who were scattered throughout the park. Staff were friendly and prepared to answer any questions people had, and seem to be really interested in their work.

Surely they have people to take care of the water? The benches outside the cafe were covered in birdshit too....

See the thing is, everyone is so fecking nice and it is a great place to go for a day out, especially families. But I think, yesterday, there were a few things that shocked me in terms of the run of the place...?

the cheetah run...you mean the little cage where they have the fastest animal in the world cramped up.. .ya ive seen that..its a little sad.on a lighter note,i did like to go there as a child.

Last edited:
the cheetah run...you mean the little cage where they have the faster animal in the world cramped up.. .ya ive seen that..its a little sad.on a lighter note,i did like to go there as a child.

yeah, they can't exactly 'run' can they? Poor cheetah look depressed....i bet they take good care of them though...

the cheetah run...you mean the little cage where they have the fastest animal in the world cramped up.. .ya ive seen that..its a little sad.on a lighter note,i did like to go there as a child.

Actually Socksy , Fota was the first place to successfully breed captive cheetahs ( repeatedly that is ) Cheetahs won't breed unless they have sufficient space and won't breed if they're bored ( weird I know )
Lessons learned in Fota have been applied world wide .

The large population of rabbits in Fota gave them great sport and so happy chetahs bred away grand .

They get excercised every day in the new run , where they chase after dead rabbits on a zip line overhead . they love it , like dog chasing a butterfly they are .

Some brief statistics . the Wildlife safari in Winston Oregon is one of the most successful in the states . Theyve had 161 births since 1973 , when they began breeding ( http://www.wildlifesafari.org/cheetah_breeding_program.asp )
Fota has had over 180 Births since 1985 ( http://www.fotawildlife.ie/news/view/the-cheetah-run-4-mile-road-race/)

Last edited:
Fota is a great spot, there is not a place like it in the country.

The Gardens are also a great walk, anytime of the year, as in autumn the tree's start to go all different colors.

As the season is now at an end, nearly, the maintaince works are carried out at Fota.

As for the paper wrappers and stuff, could the parents not tell thier kids to put them in the many bins that are scattered around the place.

As for the cheetahs, the Fota breeding program for cheetahs, is the one of if not the best in the world, the animal is well cared for.

I do agree that they should be giving a bigger enclosure, on the giraffe park side, plenty of open land there.

All in all we are lucky to have a such a great facility on or doorstep.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

9th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

Brian Kenny: Tempus Futurum

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼