Cork Hurlers - Part 2

A few shots taken at Lohan here - I don't get it. He's improved Clare year on year, and by and large has done a very good job of building a settled team while also integrating younger players. They've just beaten Cork in the championship for the third year in a row, and they were the better team in each of those games. If you think back to 2021 when Cork last beat them, there was v little between the sides and if anything Cork's prospects looked brighter given their underage success. But since then Clare have consistently improved, while Cork's form and fortunes have varied wildly.

There's two lessons I'd take from that. First, the benefits of giving a manager time to build a team, even if results in the first couple of seasons are so-so. Second, if Cork are looking for a new manager in the next season or two, and they are prepared to look beyond the county bounds, they could do a lot worse than Lohan. No idea if he'd ever do it, mind. And some of his selections and changes (or unwillingness to make changes) in big games have been poor. But overall his one with Clare seems very positive to me.

I am speaking for myself no one else, that is my opinion

But we don’t have a panel full of players with a great work ethic do we?

If, as you now claim, you were speaking for yourself and "no one else" why did you use "we" five times in your post? 🤷‍♂️

I wish we had a panel full of players with a great work ethic but no we don't. But that's not to say WE don't appreciate players with great work ethic.

I'd also love if we had every player with the heart of Damien Cahalane, but again we don't, and again that's not to say WE don't appreciate players with great heart.

Clare won on the day and deservedly so, I've no issue in saying that.

However anyone who was at that game could not claim there was a huge gulf in physicality between the teams when it was 15 on 15, that's the point I was trying to make to the other clown that was going on about Cork being 'nice hurlers' etc

I dont think there is a physicality gap of huge significance. There may be a stamina gap through that physicality though. Clare were able to sustain it for 70 which is why we can stay with Limerick. This is the area where the red card probably hurt. Looking at O Donnells goal though , a lot of cork players didnt put effort into getting back

This is one of the reasons why cork need to settle on a selection

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

La Chimera (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 4pm

More events ▼