Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Young people with alcohol on board + flares = trouble . Someone's gonna be seriously hurt one of these days. How can anyone throw one of these on top of another person beggars belief. Happened on at least 4 occasions.

Was in the Blackrock end on a diagonal with the corner flag and the uncovered stand. Even around me the amount of young people who were a) drunk and b) had no interest in the match was crazy. It was a 2pm throw-in. What's it gonna be like at 7pm on a Saturday night !!!
Hate to say it but maybe an Age Limit on the terrace? Or u16 accompanied by an adult. There was a large number of youths that spent their time trying to get into the terrace when it was full. Hard to believe the 35000 attendance figure posted online.

Cheering for Tipp on Saturday will be a bizarre one
Enough is enough - what a pitiful situation for a county previously top of the heap to have to cheer for our arch enemies. I would rather go out of championship than rely on that crowd to do us a favour. Davy no doubt will be looking to get Pat Ryan the sack so he can slide in to the job next year.

Haven't posted since before the Waterford game, and haven't managed to read a whole pile of messages over the last few days.

Like all Cork hurling supporters here I'm bitterly bitterly disappointed by the events of the last 11 days. I genuinely genuinely thought at this stage we'd have 4 points on the board and be looking at Limerick in the pairc as the biggest game down the marina since the 2014 Munster final. We are still in the championship but realistically we will probably be gone after this weekend. Tipp are atrocious and I just can't see them taking Waterford in Walsh Park.

Losing to Clare on Sunday in a rip roaring game was no disgrace but we are the architects of our own downfall both on the field and especially on the sideline. We are probably the "must see team" in hurling currently. The great entertainers. Its f*ckall good to us when we have lost the last 4 championship games by a score.

Before I become critical of Pat Ryan and some of the players, I will say I understand that intercounty hurling is a game of inches, it's brutally harsh and almost every mistake no matter how small in Munster is punished. The players give their all and for the most part are fantastic role models who put their bodies through the ringer for our enjoyment, the abuse both they and management often get subjected too is uncalled for.
However in saying that they are all grown men, no one is forcing them to play or manage and no one is above constructive criticism once its not personal.

A lot of our issues over the last 18 months have been self inflicted on the line in my opinion. The management used a huge turnover of players in last years league and clearly didn't know there best 15 come championship. The team selection in Ennis v Clare was poor and the slowness in making glaringly obvious changes was worrying. Despite that we went into the Limerick game with a much stronger team picked and gave a great account of ourselves. On that basis there was realistic optimism going into 2024.

This year again the amount of chopping and changing in the league was ridiculous.
Why was Conor Lehane center forward for the majority of the league? Lehanes strengths and weaknesses are well known. A leader he is not, so what benefit having him in with the young lads?
Why was Michael Mullins only given 10 minutes in the league?
Why was Niall O Leary selected at center back v Kilkenny. Castlelyons wouldn't play O Leary center back so why did Cork?
Why was Con O Callaghan selected midfield that night? He's a defender.
Why was Eoin Roche completely discarded despite doing fine in his 2 appearences.
What was the story with Tim O Mahoney during the league. Played in 2 games, brought on at the end of 1 game and not used in the others?
At the end of the league, management still hadn't found a replacement full back, a steady midfield partnership and a settled half forward line.

Injuries also disrupted the league, this is becoming a common theme in Cork teams in recent years. I'll look past broken bones and other impact injuries as that's all part of contact sport. Does the strength and conditioning programme need to be modified because its scandalous the amount of Cork players that are getting hamstring injuries and shoulder injuries.

We went into championship undercooked in hindsight. Ryan picked the wrong team v Waterford and the sluggish display that day was in keeping with previous management's tenures. The dropping of Eoin Downey was quiet bizarre as was starting all 3 of the over 30s in the forward line. The slow speed of the ball into Alan Connolly that afternoon was most infuriating as was the slowness of Pa Collins puck outs. I felt sorry for Sean Twomey in that first half. Twice I saw him completely lose his man only for Collins to dawdle on the puck out and miss the chance to hit him. Now Twomey was very poor in general play and deserved to be hooked at half time but a few handy balls like that would have done his confidence the world of good. By the same token was Twomey any worse then Hoggie or Lehane in that 1st half but they got to stay on the field. Why?

Last Sunday v Clare Ryan made 6 changes. For the most part they worked but it stank of panic. I think Tim O Mahoney had a fantastic battle with Duggan and for 45 minutes it was 50/50. Thereafter Tim faded and it looked to me like a lack of match fitness, see my above point about Tim's lack of use during the league.
Dalton also ran out of legs and so did Ethan Twomey. Harnedy also looked exhausted coming off. Coleman and Robbie O Flynn don't look the players they were before their injuries and in O Flynns case in particular maybe we would be best leaving him get back to Erin's Own before going again with him next year.

I have a degree of sympathy for management with regards the goalkeeping situation. I think they are right not to push Brion Saunderson just yet. In any other position I'd be plumming for the young guy but goals is a different kettle of fish. Unfortunately it's been clear for a while that Collins probably is not up to the required standard and that was laid bare again last Sunday. I thought we did trojan work around the middle and came away with more then our fair share of breaks but there is nothing a Cork half forward or midfielder can do if Collins pucks the ball directly to their man or can't clear the opposition half forward line.

With regards the sendings off, the Cahalane one was a joke in my opinon. The first yellow wasn't deserved. Thereafter Cahalane should have had the brains to not get caught for a a stupid swipe. The Joyce black card was a free. No more, possession had been lost.
The Sean O Donaghue incident while somewhat harsh was a moment of stupidity. We have all seen refs turn a blind eye to these in the past but it was completely needless from Sean. Obviously it didn't help that O Donnell went down like he'd been shot but O Donnell played both the officials and O Donaghue like a fiddle and we can't have any complaints.

Our approach to the rest of the championship will be interesting. Personally I'd like to see Ryan stay on next year and complete his tenure and see will he turn it around. As I said earlier I think we are as good as gone this year and in that case I'd like to see him begin the rebuild v Limerick in a fortnight. If that involves bringing Mullins, Cunningham, Eoin Roche etc onto the matchday panel so be it.

Not coming out of Munster 2 years in a row is completely unacceptable and I completely understand the Pat Ryan out sentiment. I just don't agree with it .........yet.

Sorry about the length of the post.

Someone may have said this already but for the 2nd Clare goal, when the ball goes in behind and there's a 3 v 2, look at the 4/5 Cork defenders out around the 45 marking their own men....not 1 of them sprinted back. Ball watching, as if it's not their problem. Looked like a Junior team mentality. We lost all the big moments
Look again
They are marking no one, they are just going fuck it
There's a goal.
Downey could easily have got back

No, Brian Roche should be I'm his second season developing as a stopper in the malone / Donovan role . O connell, a player I didn't rate before this years league should be partnering him or competing with him.
Instead he is dumped outside the 26.
Lads like those dont take to intervounty like a duck to water they need consistent backing to grow.
If you mention the words Sean Twomey to me I’ll report you. 😂

I disagree completely that we should start a rebuild v Limerick.
If this team is to go out of Munster let it at least be on the back of 2 wins.
Not going to do the likes of Cunningham or Mullins any good to be fired on v Limerick when they haven't been involved to now.
Both have been injured and and are hardly brimming with confidence.

Experimenting with the team to that degree is neither necessary or wise right now.

We gave an imperfect but great performance v Clare, the players who put in that effort should be good to go again v Limerick.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 5:30pm

More events ▼