Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Cork management certainly give the impression they’ve lost their way. The Waterford team selection alarming.
But honestly do we have the players to win an AI with any manager?
Unfortunately I think we don’t.
PR himself has highlighted that even the best of his AI winning U20s aren’t good enough to make senior panels.
In Limerick their top guys go straight from minor to senior.
I don't think that is the point.

The point is that we need to give ourselves the best chance to win every game and I am not sure if that is happening.

Sort that out and then see how far that gets us.

If we are still not good enough then so be it.

In general I think what was said about Waterford before our game with them was not far wrong....what I don't think anybody predicted was that Cork could be so badly awful.

For me this game was one of the most disappointing in a long time because I don't believe we were beaten by a better team.

I believe the Clare performance would have beaten Waterford.

I know we are only half way through the championship and still have a chance because of Tipperary last night but I don't see any improvement this year compared to last year and that is disappointing.

There is still time but we need to see it on Saturday or we are gone.
Spot on

You’ve a point in fairness.
I’ve said this many times on here. Limerick are well ahead of the rest in Munster. They don’t have to go hell for leather to get out of Munster & they manage themselves well to peak during AI series.
The rest in Munster are poor. Tipp awful, Waterford all huff & puff and Clare are Clare, all noise.

If the rest in Munster are poor what does this make the rest of the rest: Wexford all over the place, Galway are cat and Kilkenny have reached a ceiling well below limerick when it matters and I won’t even mention Dublin.
I don’t believe limerick don’t have to go hard in Munster, it’s well known they do and their aim every year is to win Munster and get the break to reset befor the semi final

If the rest in Munster are poor what does this make the rest of the rest: Wexford all over the place, Galway are cat and Kilkenny have reached a ceiling well below limerick when it matters and I won’t even mention Dublin.
I don’t believe limerick don’t have to go hard in Munster, it’s well known they do and their aim every year is to win Munster and get the break to reset befor the semi final
Agreed. They are looking to win 6 munsters in a row too. They generally have opposition flaking into them in Munster over the years. Very little easy

That’s not correct at all. After the team was announced, some posters on here and many around my own club predicted Waterford to beat Cork and many predicted the reasons for that defeat also

I absolutely agree, once the team was announced anyone with an ounce of sense new cork were in trouble and every issue identified with the selection came home to roost during the match, cork are where they are due to these abysmal set up and start, up to the management to get it absolutely right from now on, past record indicates this isn’t going to happen but we have hope for another 6 days at least

I don't think that is the point.

The point is that we need to give ourselves the best chance to win every game and I am not sure if that is happening.

Sort that out and then see how far that gets us.

If we are still not good enough then so be it.
Look at our record these last 2 years. Look at KK and Meylers teams.
There is no “if we are still not good enough” about us at all.
We have 1 win in our last 6 matches in Munster!!
Nothing against you North Cork as you are a super poster on here but in general I’m not sure what sort of beatings we have to take or how many more matches we have to lose or how long more to win an All Ireland before there is some level of reality biting
I can’t believe no one in the media is going after Kevin O Donovan and the cork GAA employees that run our show

Last edited:
Limerick don’t always put out their strongest team in Munster. Injuries especially and some legs too are managed so that they are right for the AI series.
They operate on a totally different level.
Limerick like the Dubs can do that due to the financial doping. Eventually that runs it course and it will in those sporting organizations too

I agree 100% about the stupidity of handpassing the ball through the lines but what’s the realistic alternative.??? Leave it in high to guys who can’t win it on the ground let alone in the air.
Eh drop the fellas that can’t win their own ball high or low or who can’t put in a shift for 70 minutes. It’s not rocket science

And the alternative is the same as above, pick 14 outfield players who will work like demons and play a fast intelligent style of hurling
And lastly I think we’re getting a bit carried away with this notion of playing the “young fellas”. A lot of these guys have come up very short this year with the 20s. I accept Mullins and Cunningham need to play next year for sure.
Brion Saunderson - Is in my view our best goalie, got one league game and never seen again

Eoin Roche - given two league games at full back, done well then dropped out of sight

Conor O Callaghan - I thought this guy would make it corner back this year. Got one league game, at midfield 🙄 and never seen again

Brian Roche - thrown in at the deep end last year and made his place his own, saw no game time in Waterford and gone off the match day 26 last week

Diarmuid Healy - I said it over the winter, this fella should be on our Senior panel this year regardless of u20, never got a look in

Ben Cunningham - the best half foward in Cork club hurling over the last few years, missed out on the league through injury but now fully fit, definitely one for next year, if not next weekend!

Michael Mullins - as Ben above, badly needs exposure at this level next year

Padraig Power - injured till now, the perfect modern day corner foward

Add in Eoin Downey, Tommy O Connell, Ethan Twomey, Shane Barrett, Brian Hayes who have all started this year and you begin to see what I mean by throw in the young fellas

I can’t believe Pat hasn’t done that

Add all I’ve said above to what to me is the most important thing, coaching and culture change within the squad, I see very little improvement in those this year

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼