Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Cover way more ground in football at midfield than in hurling.
Does not matter whether it's club or intercounty - it's the nature of the game.

Compare Tommy O Connell Darragh Fitz Mark Coleman etc look to Ian Maguire and Colm O Callaghan, Colm and Ian cover nearly every blade of grass on the pitch.
From being in their own square to the opposition square in the space of a play or 2 plays.
Not often you see the hurling equivalents do the same.
Not often but I think that’s something that Limerick do better in hurling than others.

As an example Lynch does it more than anyone.. he is some man to cover ground and you’ll find him dropping into the areas that need sorting out and changes the course of a match.. Some operator. He never gets the credit he deserves for it I think

Just because we lost doesn’t mean it didn’t work. Brian and Hayes were right in front of me in the first half and Brian had him very frustrated by just flicking the ball away from him every time. When Brian went off Hayes dominated that wing. He had the legs to get around the pitch whereas Seamus or Deccie wouldn’t.
I do see your point but we need all of B Roche flicks in midfield as well...

Also Its a tough ask of the lad after effectively being dropped, to come back in again and sacrifice yourself again vs Hayes because others "ahead of you" in the picking order, Coleman and Meade would be utterly dominated.

Not often but I think that’s something that Limerick do better in hurling than others.

As an example Lynch does it more than anyone.. he is some man to cover ground and you’ll find him dropping into the areas that need sorting out and changes the course of a match.. Some operator. He never gets the credit he deserves for it I think
That I agree with.
Lynch would cover the same ground as as footballer, but by doing that someone is covering him as well.
The way they read the game is unreal and speed the play at.

If lynch goes forward someone forward line will drop back on the counter to cover his position and vice versa if he goes back a forward drops again to cover the area.

I do see your point but we need all of B Roche flicks in midfield as well...
Tommy O Connell?
Also Its a tough ask of the lad after effectively being dropped, to come back in again and sacrifice yourself again vs Hayes because others "ahead of you" in the picking order, Coleman and Meade would be utterly dominated.
Absolutely, for a young fella who gives 100% every time he plays he has been treated terribly, his form isn’t as good as last year but he’s an easy scapegoat, as was Tommy after the Waterford game

Tommy O Connell?

Absolutely, for a young fella who gives 100% every time he plays he has been treated terribly, his form isn’t as good as last year but he’s an easy scapegoat, as was Tommy after the Waterford game
While I enjoy these debates, I fully expect Fitz to be midfield and TOC and B Roche not involved but its the hope that kills you in Cork hurling.

We have the players to be on 2 points and with a little luck 4 points but the sideline have made a balls of it.

I was out cycling earlier with one of our retired county hurlers.. the kind of fella we could badly do with now, pure dog. He’s baffled why Fitz isn’t in at 11, gave me any amount of reasons, all of which have been mentioned here.. is PR the only person in the county that thinks he should play midfield?

I was out cycling earlier with one of our retired county hurlers.. the kind of fella we could badly do with now, pure dog. He’s baffled why Fitz isn’t in at 11, gave me any amount of reasons, all of which have been mentioned here.. is PR the only person in the county that thinks he should play midfield?
Fella picking teams at all levels get a blindspot on a position or a player.

That's why it's important to have strong selectors and to keep the backroom team freshened up imo. Fresh eyes can be very important.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Linda Fredriksson Juniper
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼