Cork Hurlers - Part 2

People would need to calm the fuck down.

If you stop working from a 'we are cork basis' and started thinking that right now Clare have better hurlers than Cork yesterdays performance by cork has a lot to build on.

Corks keeper isn't great, but he's not useless either. Saunderson has a season in a really dominant u 20s team and a few league matchs.

Maybe he is good enough. Picking him now is bollox.

The cork defence is fine other than maybe Eoin Downey isn't quite ready.
O leary should be first choice. Putting in next weeks flavour of the month won't help.

The clare forwards are exceptionally good with two of the most unorthodox hurlers ( o donnell and Duggan ) that have ever played.
It's really tough to play against them.

O mahony got destroyed by Duggan but he never quit and took serious punishment out there.

Midfield is the area that needs a rethink. Personally I just cannot understand the brian Roche situation.

Here is a lad who did really well last year grafting away doing the donkey work but is dropped this year , presumably due to his hurling , giving him no chance to grow.

harnedy and horgan were mighty. Both their markers, hayes and ryan are quick experienced skilful hurlers but they both had to fight hard to contain them and didht succeed until well into the match. Real leadership.

Connolly is a great player. He looks dangerous every time he gets the ball . He found it tougher on Hogan when cleary swopped to Hayes after the yellow

Hayes and Daltons value only became apparent when they went off. Hayes may not make it but he should get the chance. Dalton I am torn on . Some great scores but did he abdicate responsibility for mcinerney A bit

The subs weren't great.

Coleman is the great conundrum. Beautiful ball player
After that 🤷‍♂️

O Flynn was off the pace and he was marking a sub making his championship debut.
Leen got the better of it.

In the end there should be at least 13 of that 15 starting the next day.

Cork simply don't have the players to justify that sort of lurching about.

Is there any element at all of Cork people being proud of the way their team stuck at it in the face of hammer blow goals 2 weeks in a row.

Naturally I hope Ryan makes 4 or 5 changes and completely blows things up.

Ps
Rob Downey to 12 ?

Thoughts ?
I agree with a lot of what you say but I think if Barrett had buried that goal chance or laid it off there might be a different conversation today.

I honestly don't agree Clare have better hurlers, I think they are better drilled a unit but were clinging on against 14 men at the end.

Not being argumentative but in the unlikely event of both teams meeting again in the All Ireland series I think it would start as a 50/50 game.

Cork in my opinion have a lot of talent but the play is very disjointed relying more on individual effort than team structure.

Off topic for a match @ 2pm opening the pubs @ 12.30 pm as ridiculous and thats from a non drinker.Longboats opened at 12 o clock but the venue was still closed as i passed about 12.25.

Alas that has always been the way in Cork since Connie Lucy (and maybe before). Used be that the licensing laws were more strictly enforced in Cork when big GAA games were on as a blind eye was turned in Killarney, Thurles, and one or two places in Limerick. You'd have thought with the wane of the Catholic Church that the local vintners would have applied for a derogation and that the pubs could have opened earlier.

Some people were still in the bars after the 2PM throw in.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼