Cork Hurlers - Part 2

James Owens is an absolute joke lads. He ties himself up in knots in every game by going for the controversial 'brave' decision in his own head... one of these refs that loves the limelight. He then gets the sense he might have made a balls of it and it all goes to pot then. He's over-picky for senior championship hurling, and drives huge frustration with all the teams. The penalty decision last year. The Eoin Cody red card this year.

Yesterday he was poor for both teams... don't know how the Clare goal at the end was disallowed or how Hogan fouled Connolly before the Hoggy free - he didn't. I know most on here disagree but for me, the body check by SOD is a free and not a second yellow. There's also a black card / penalty lunge by Rory Hayes (when he's coming back up off the ground) on Horgan... I hate lads on here whinging about referees but this is more about a ref that is consistently below the standard for some time and still getting big games. I really don't understand it. We have only ourselves to blame for the 2 defeats but 2 soft reds in 2 weeks has killed us.

The difference in the next game is going to be unreal. Gordon or Thomas Walsh will leave all of that picky stuff go, whether that suits us or not let's see.

Agreed 14 yellow cards and a red yday was ridiculous.

His refereeing of games is consistently sub par for this level.

Yes you are right, ODonnell should have stayed on his feet after getting crunched.
Where did I say he should have stayed on his feet? Obviously taking a hit like that you’ll end up on the floor. But my overall point which you have consistently avoided is the fact that O Donnell took advantage of O Donoghues rashness to draw the contact.

Spot on. Saying the Cork defence is fine after conceding 36 points at home (including 2-7 off puckouts) in a Munster championship match is simply not a good faith argument. The average for us is about 31,32. It might not be about the personnel named in the backs granted but we are not a defensively competent team by any stretch of the imagination.

For all their undoubted talents, Limerick, Kilkenny and Galway would back themselves to beat this Clare side when it counts every time and they’d be right on available evidence. It counted big time for Cork yesterday, we got ourselves into a winning position, we fucked it and the scoreline ultimately flattered us. They kept going absolutely, but from 52 minutes on there was only one winner.
I have been critical of the backs when the forwards have been getting a lot of the blame but yesterday they were doing as well as they could until the sending off. Shane O'Donnell has the beating of every back in the country at the minute.

Having given @SoundMan the proof I'd like to see if he still thinks O'Donoghue didn't line up and take O'Donell out

Having seen it now in the cold light of day from that global angle it was indeed stupid and was a foul. Think a yellow card was a bit harsh though. Don't think the Clare player was getting anywhere near the ball but it was stupid given O'Donoghue was already on a yellow. The Clare player subsequently though milked it for all he was worth with the intention of trying to get the Cork player (already on a card) sent off.

As a matter of interest have you the clip of Connolly going through on goal in the first half when Hogan(?) pulled on Connolly's chest and Connolly stayed on his feet putting the ball over the bar.

The ball wasn't dead you eejit.
Collins flicked it away and was chasing after it, o donnell wasn't running at o donoghue he was chasing Collins
O donoghue stepped into him and body checked o donnell.

Some of you lads literally don't know what you are looking at.
It was stupid from O Donoghue, it gave a poor referee a decision to make and there was no need for it.
Collins seemed in control and the ball was about to be hit down the field.
It is more concerning that it was an error from an experienced player and captain rather than a novice like Downey where a rush of blood to the head would nearly be expected.

The goalkeeper taking the puckout with Tim O Mahony on the ground which meant it was fifteen against thirteen. Again another poor decision from an experienced Cork player. What should he have done ? Gone done with a leg injury , what could the referee do ? book him or send him off ?

It was stupid from O Donoghue, it gave a poor referee a decision to make and there was no need for it.
Collins seemed in control and the ball was about to be hit down the field.
It is more concerning that it was an error from an experienced player and captain rather than a novice like Downey where a rush of blood to the head would nearly be expected.

The goalkeeper taking the puckout with Tim O Mahony on the ground which meant it was fifteen against thirteen. Again another poor decision from an experienced Cork player. What should he have done ? Gone done with a leg injury , what could the referee do ? book him or send him off ?
Take off helmet...fly in his eye

Smarter defensive thinking about positioning and personnel would have got us over the line.
Derek McGrath Waterford speak.
The results over the last 2 years speak for themselves. At the end of the day, we can move around the deck chairs all day long but we just aren’t good enough. That’s a very average Clare team. Although mistakes are made don’t blame the players or indeed PR in my book. I am extremely proud today of that performance from the lads yesterday. Have to respect them all after they dying in their boots yesterday. Some warriors, Especially Harnedy & Hoggie (a man I’m critical of for years) who were immense. A credit to themselves, their families, clubs and the Cork Jersey.
Our problems in Cork hurling are more fundamental than the lads yesterday.

My take on the various sending offs is that the black card in Waterford was wrong as attacker had lost the ball - but to be fair you need a replay to see that. The two sending offs were technically correct. And that's all fine if it is how the sport is reffed. I'm all for it. But its not how the sport is reffed is the issue. Cork can't complain per se, but let's just say it is deliciously ironic that a county infamous for being too soft have had 3 dismissals in two games with no one else sent off I'm Munster. That notwithstanding all the carry on in Ennis last week.. Not sure about Leinster tbh.

As a minimum Cork should be making more of this. PR should be highlighting this unexpected amount of cards for Cork, highlighting we aren't a dirty team and saying he looks forward to the rules being applied equally as vigorously against the other counties. We need to stop being a punch bag and show some teeth. Get messages like that out there helps. Cody would have done it (might have used his proxy, Keher), Kiely would do it and O Grady would have done it. Time for PR to show we aren't complete pushover. If he had done it last week SOD might have been given a last warning yesterday (happens all the time, whether you like it or not, especially if its not a strike or a head shot( rather than a second yellow.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jordan Mackampa

, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼