Cork Hurlers - Part 2

He was good on the ball. But Rodgers went to town in first half and Reidy in second half. Both were motm candidates.

Collins getting abuse but we were cleaned out on our puckouts - lack of ball winners

TOM was roasted by Duggan also.

No his puckouts were absolutely dreadful, really really poor for this level, they weren’t giving players a chance as they weren’t reaching them, imo he has always been average but today was a really bad day, next manager needs to look at change here.
Tim was in big trouble half way through the first half and no change from the line until he went off, again the line way too slow why not even switch Downey over, Meade as a sub made zero impact and it was crying out for o’connellw energy and fight, Kingston again in a battle is not the player to bring no , they should have kept faith and brought on Twomey, way too many mistakes being made on the line not helping an average team

I thought SO'D was poor? Some people seem to think he did well? The bat down instead of the catch summed him up for me.

But was there a Cork back who did well?
They were struggling to contain Clare.

Maybe we're not as good as we think we are?

He did the same against Waterford batting a ball down when it was easier to catch and it cost us a point stretching the lead last week, can’t defend high ball

No his puckouts were absolutely dreadful, really really poor for this level, they weren’t giving players a chance as they weren’t reaching them, imo he has always been average but today was a really bad day, next manager needs to look at change here.
Tim was in big trouble half way through the first half and no change from the line until he went off, again the line way too slow why not even switch Downey over, Meade as a sub made zero impact and it was crying out for o’connellw energy and fight, Kingston again in a battle is not the player to bring no , they should have kept faith and brought on Twomey, way too many mistakes being made on the line not helping an average team
Sean Twomey would have been nowhere near it today

Once Clare kicked into gear we were badly outclassed I thought. They were faster, stronger & used the ball way better than we did. We fought away hard and kept at it but 1 win out of 6 is an awful record along with 2 very average league campaigns. Another year of Coleman, Fitzgibbon etc watching lads who they were just as good as play in all the big games. The county board have to make sure the right people are in charge of Joyce, Cunningham, Mullins, Healy, Leahy etc or the exact same will happen them.

Another year of Coleman, Fitzgibbon etc watching lads who they were just as good as play in all the big games. The county board have to make sure the right people are in charge of Joyce, Cunningham, Mullins, Healy, Leahy etc or the exact same will happen them.
This idea absolutely blows my mind..
Just cause a fella was as good as another fella when they were children doesn’t mean anything at all at all when playing a man’s sport 5 years later.
In the last 20 years Galway have won half the minor All Ireland hurling titles and this has provided 1 senior All Ireland
Limerick going for 5 in a row won jack shit underage.
Underage success is not a predictor of success at adult level. That’s conclusively proven in every team sport in the world.
That’s why it’s celebrated as a rare and special thing that whenever an underage team comes through and they produce 5-6 players at adult level.

Once Clare kicked into gear we were badly outclassed I thought. They were faster, stronger & used the ball way better than we did. We fought away hard and kept at it but 1 win out of 6 is an awful record along with 2 very average league campaigns. Another year of Coleman, Fitzgibbon etc watching lads who they were just as good as play in all the big games. The county board have to make sure the right people are in charge of Joyce, Cunningham, Mullins, Healy, Leahy etc or the exact same will happen them.
Can we stop the narrative of Coleman being a top player. Its simply not true this year I'm afraid.

All your other points are valid IMO.

Haven’t had time to fully think about today or Cork hurling in general. Still a bit raw. However I think the 2021 hammering by Limerick set us back years, we haven’t recovered from it. The older lads were some of our better players today.

Rather than post a long meandering essay I’ll end on this. The last two games have proven that we’re just not good enough. They tried their best today and it wasn’t enough.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

James Ahern

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼