Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I've no issue with them running these events to make money but I can't see why you would do it the weekend of a huge championship game.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was in Cork but travelling up and down to Dublin is mad stuff.
The whole thing is run by this 'One Cork' group. They reckon there's a good lash of lads based up around the pale and looking to hit the corporate scene a bit Id say

Cork should be hopping out of their boots on Sunday, hearing things like we are flaky and soft for 20+ years is demoralizing. For the life of me, I do not understand how we do not have abrasive hard-working, never back down type of characters. I was encouraged to read Pat Ryan’s comments on our intensity and how we start games no the players need to step up and be giants for 70+ minutes. The team has a lot of risks, but I think everybody here believes that we needed to take risks, and sticking with what has not worked, is simply criminal. We need to be very careful of Shane O’Donnell, he did wreck last year, disrupting our ball coming out of defense. Silly turnovers, and our inability to switch on after we had scored a goal. Don’t take time to pat yourself on the back, get back in the game get your defense and structure, correct. I would have huge concerns over to TOM play wing back, he is headless and has a lack of composure but he does have an incredible engine, and he is a big body. Hopefully, Shane Barrett can replicate last week’s Form. I really think he is a diamond in the rough. I can’t say I’m looking forward to Sunday, but hope will keep us watching.
Re the 20 years and soft and fragile stuff...
I think the mgmt set-ups have been way too cosy over the years. There's never been a sense of the discomfort described by the KK lads where your place on the team was never secure. Never an ability to pull someone after 20 mins if they aren't on it. A set-up can be fair, supportive and respectful and still be tough and ruthless at the same time. I thought PR was going to bring this - and maybe yesterday's selection shows a bit of this.

The other thing is that you might have 80% or 90% of the side with the right attitude and work-rate but 2 or 3 lads that don't bring that intensity is enough to de-rail it all when you get to the highest level. KK obviously brought that full package for 70 minutes but Limerick brought it to a new level. Friend of mine is a good buddy of one of the Limerick analysts and in advance of the 2021 final he said that there could only be a limerick outcome and likely by a high margin as Limerick will make twice the amount of tackles that Cork will make (3 times as much if you compare the respective forward divisions). The players are there but the senior team environment just hasn't had that culture. PR's underage teams and BOC's underage teams do have that culture and the more these guys filter through with the winners medals and the work yourself into the ground ethos the better. We'll get there.

The most over rated hurler in the last 50 years in my book. RTE built him up.
Take no notice of him. 1 All Ireland? We’ve a fella in Cork who won 2 of them in a fortnight..
Joe gave a display against Clare above in Thurles, QFs double header, the same day Henry was sent off when we beat KK, that was absolutely scandalously bad. Walking around as the game passed him by and Galway knocked out.
Jeez I dunno about that take on Canning. To me he was absolutely gifted as a hurler and one of the best by far over the last few decades. He could do anything with a ball

That will continue to happen with this mullocker/ playmaker midfield idea that Cork have. You needs two dogs of war in midfield this days, we are just late to the party as usual and haven’t realised it it.
That's true. Teams are alternating scrappers in and out of there also from the half forward line. Barron was swapping with Montgomery a lot last weekend. Tipp will do it with Alan Tynan. KK do it with Adrian Mullen. There are times in all these games when a 'good hurler' is just wasted in midfield. Limerick got Lynch out of there fairly quickly a few years back. The Brian Roche piece is very odd. He was good last year. And while he didn't hit top form in the league, he was grand - he was one of the reasons the game v KK turned around in the pairc in March. He has the attitude we are desperate for. An absolute warrior in those u20 games a couple of years ago.

Lads Derek McGrath writes some amount of shite. This is a snippet from his article in the Examiner today.

The psychological concept of flow made famous by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi whereby a state of optimal concentration coincides with freedom looks to be something that Limerick constantly chase.
Complete plonker...🤣🤣

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼