Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Not a very exciting selection, tbh. I think what's most disappointing is the conservatism - it looks like in almost every position where there was a choice to be made, management went with the more experienced option. Individually, each if these choices has something to be said for it: Cahalane was solid last year, Coleman is a terrific player whose passing range could be ideal if Waterford crowd the middle, ditto Lehane, while Harnedy and Hoggy are strong candidates in part because of the lack of established alternatives (with Dalton and O'Flynn being injured or only just back). But the overall package looks worryingly familiar. I'm not saying none of the players mentioned should be picked, but there is no curveball, nothing that looks significantly different to what Cork teams have been bringing for the past few years.

I'd be a little worried about how the FB line would cope if Waterford move Kiely inside and go with high ball. The forwards lack pace, which is ironic given the cliché of Cork teams as light and and fast. Barrett is the only one of the front six who is really quick. In some matches last year, especially in Ennis, the lack of pace in the inside forwards cost Cork, and I could see that happening again if (as I expect) Hoggy and Connolly end up inside.

The biggest worry is the middle eight. Waterford know exactly how to approach this match. The template is there from their game against Limerick, where they turned the middle of the pitch into a warzone, slowed down the delivery of good ball into the Limerick inside forwards, and got under their skin to the extent that Limerick could have had more than one red card. Cork need to move the ball quickly, spread the play and avoid being forced to run through the middle, but they will also have to be ready to work just as hard as Waterford to win ball, tackle their men and hold up runners, and break tackles themselves. On paper at least I think Waterford might have the edge here, particularly if it turns out that Cork's inside forwards can't get away from their men to secure good possession.

I would have preferred at least one player whose primary job would be to harry Waterford players and win breaking ball - my choice would have been Brian Roche, others might have preferred O'Mahony - and one quicker player inside along Connolly (I would have gone for Hayes here). Hopefully I'm wrong and the team picked does the job.

So based on waterford playing a sweeper, and knowing mad Davy he could play two 🤣, we are going to set up like this?

Collins
Cahalane. O’Donoghue
Coleman
Millerick. Downey
Joyce
O Connell. Fitzy
Lehane
Twomey. Harnedy
Barrett
Connolly. Hoggie

Does Joyce sit back or push on? Does Coleman swop with Joyce? Does Hoggy have the legs for all the running?
Tune in Sunday afternoon when all will be revealed.....

Not a very exciting selection, tbh. I think what's most disappointing is the conservatism - it looks like in almost every position where there was a choice to be made, management went with the more experienced option. Individually, each if these choices has something to be said for it: Cahalane was solid last year, Coleman is a terrific player whose passing range could be ideal if Waterford crowd the middle, ditto Lehane, while Harnedy and Hoggy are strong candidates in part because of the lack of established alternatives (with Dalton and O'Flynn being injured or only just back). But the overall package looks worryingly familiar. I'm not saying none of the players mentioned should be picked, but there is no curveball, nothing that looks significantly different to what Cork teams have been bringing for the past few years.

I'd be a little worried about how the FB line would cope if Waterford move Kiely inside and go with high ball. The forwards lack pace, which is ironic given the cliché of Cork teams as light and and fast. Barrett is the only one of the front six who is really quick. In some matches last year, especially in Ennis, the lack of pace in the inside forwards cost Cork, and I could see that happening again if (as I expect) Hoggy and Connolly end up inside.

The biggest worry is the middle eight. Waterford know exactly how to approach this match. The template is there from their game against Limerick, where they turned the middle of the pitch into a warzone, slowed down the delivery of good ball into the Limerick inside forwards, and got under their skin to the extent that Limerick could have had more than one red card. Cork need to move the ball quickly, spread the play and avoid being forced to run through the middle, but they will also have to be ready to work just as hard as Waterford to win ball, tackle their men and hold up runners, and break tackles themselves. On paper at least I think Waterford might have the edge here, particularly if it turns out that Cork's inside forwards can't get away from their men to secure good possession.

I would have preferred at least one player whose primary job would be to harry Waterford players and win breaking ball - my choice would have been Brian Roche, others might have preferred O'Mahony - and one quicker player inside along Connolly (I would have gone for Hayes here). Hopefully I'm wrong and the team picked does the job.
On paper...Someone said to Ring once that on paper Cork had a better team to Tipp.He said..
Pity we can't play them on paper.

Eoin Downey has to play against Clare
So what happens when David Fitzgerald and Peter Duggan come to town Sunday week?
Duggan will probably go in to the FF line so id expect Cahalane to pick him up, he got on top of him last year in the second half. D Fitz is a conundrum because he is big and quick, so I wouldn't trust either Downey on him, but would probably go with Rob. I think Eoin will be needed to bring height to the FB line in a few games, Limerick targeted that last year.

On Coleman, he's no midget I say he's 6ft, no shorter then Mellerick anyway even Joyce isnt v. tall but reads a dropping ball very well (similar to Tommy Walsh)and I don't remember him getting cleaned out in the air too often, I think we all have nightmares of Brick Walsh going on him in his debut season, he's matched up well against Wally Walsh a fre times from memory.
Cian Lynch in his pomp, gave him most trouble when he was playing the Centre/Qtr Back role, but I think his tackle technique and his footwork and speed makes up for the odd time a ball gets caught over his head.

We’ve seen all the reasons to be nervous and negative listed above - valid concerns mostly

Reasons to be optimistic
- Joyce a year older and stronger
- Connolly back on the field two years older and notably stronger
- Coleman back in the team; his 20 mins versus KK showed what we missed last year
- Tommy O Connelly finally released from half back line to his rightly place
- Sean Twomey given his chance to show if he’s a genuine inter county forward
- genuine quality options on the bench

One other small thing, tomorrow will be a proud day for Courcey Rovers, I can't remember another player from the club playing senior championship, anyone know who was the last one?
I don’t know the last one but it’s most famous is surely Jim O Regan the center back who won multiple All Ireland’s with Cork and later on coached the 1966 All Ireland winning team

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼