Cork Footballers

What we should be doing is at Rebel Og u13s to u16 should be 1 hop and 1 solo and speed up the game and start using the foot alot more. We have great guys to run with the ball but we dont kick pass the ball enough. Look at our All Ireland winning teams over the years, we moved the ball alot faster than we do now.

What we should be doing is at Rebel Og u13s to u16 should be 1 hop and 1 solo and speed up the game and start using the foot alot more. We have great guys to run with the ball but we dont kick pass the ball enough. Look at our All Ireland winning teams over the years, we moved the ball alot faster than we do now.
You can’t compare All Ireland winning teams of the past with any team now because the game has changed an awful lot. The 2010 winning team actually ran the ball an awful lot more than they kicked it and that was an exceptional team.

We are way behind the curve and not innovative tactically. None of our keepers are comfortable on the ball to use as a fly keeper and they also struggle on kicking the ball out. Pretty much every other team, especially the good ones are making huge use of their keeper now.

So someone needs to bite the bullet and coax Mark White back onto panel or else think of an outfield player in Cork who is a good kicker and footballer to make more use of the keeper role. You’ve got decent at best teams making great use of this and it has improved them hugely ie. Armagh, Derry, Monaghan.

Over my 38 years of going down to the pairc and watching the cork footballers play the last few years have been the most disappointing. I’ve seen some of corks greatest like Larry, teddy mc, Colin corkery, canty, Goulding, shields and I look at the players today and they wouldn’t lace their boots. It’s a real shame. The one positive about last weekends game was “supervalu” pairc ui Chaoimh was looking good

I agree with a fair amount of what @Dday writes in terms of changes that surely can easily be made:
  • Yes - nobody in a county minor or u20 panel whose 1st sporting priority isn't football (hurling should take the same perspective and not be playing a fellow who's heading off on a rugby career).
    • I'm all for players playing whatever sport they want to, or none if they don't want to. But county-level is elite sports and it's a two-way street - if we're giving a player one of a small number of coveted elite development opportunities, then we should be giving those to players who we think are most likely to exploit those opportunities to the max in the long term.
  • Yes, play football in PUR, and let the crowd on the field after the match.
    • PUC for hurling, rugby, and concerts and PUR for football unless and until the football crowd exceeds PUR capacity. And I'd still view that capacity challenge with optimism - I still believe we have what it takes to have a good championship season this year.
    • We have to make this games occasions of connection between team and supporters. We're unlikely to win the AI this year - most immediate priority should be the occasion. In last year's championship, being out on the field with the team in the Gaelic Grounds & in Navan (? - Louth match - we were somewhere in Meath anyway!) was great. We should have had more of that when at home. The team played great v Kerry and v Roscommon, and those games would have been much more occasions if we could be on the field with the team after the match.

So much wrong in this county, even the small things, and it all adds up.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a disadvantage to the Cork footballers. Every footballer in the country would like to play there. Beautiful surface. After Croke Park I'm sure it's the next place players would like to play.
Our games should be played in PUR.
Your home games in the league are huge but we don't have that home advantage.

At underage level, no more dual minors. Any good dual player eventually chooses hurling, for the most part anyway.

Kickout. Inept. If this was ongoing in your club there would be war. No further comment.

Look at the TV on Saturday night after Kerry / Mayo. The exposure kids get to their heroes on the pitch. That is what encourages kids to keep playing and wanting to aspire to play with their county. Unfortunately our county board won't allow this to protect our sacred pitch. The team just about gets to warm up there. How many times are kids stopped from going onto the pitch to meet Hoggie /Harnedy etc.. or the likes of Canty, Donnacha back in their day to meet their heroes.

Our priorities are all wrong in the county. From a football perspective, we simply don't care enough.
On the money re the the Pairc its like an away venue for us as well as the oppisition.

I think there is an immediate requirement for change and perhaps a look at football in the county separately - btw I don’t think we are in a significantly different state to the majority of other counties on this front but others can argue that one.
In the immediate as has been said we are so predictable, conservative and easy to play against it is killing us. This management group are way off the thinking/ planning around the area of kickouts and indeed the keeper position compared to almost any other county. The whole
Country realised cork had developed last year and the next piece of the puzzle was developing a kickout strategy, they did nothing, zero development, zero innovation, we stayed still and looked backwards.
At this stage none of the current keepers are up to the level required because their kickout range is so limited and they are so reluctant and uncomfortable to travel with the ball compared to any other county, in the next few weeks we will play Meath and Armagh who will be playing for large parts of the game with 15 outfield
Players. It is staggering that a coach travelling from Galway hasn’t addressed this and it is an indictment of the group that we haven’t looked to move this on one iota- i don’t know how you fix this in a week but surely we could try something besides an overload on the left each time we are pressed?
The second issue is the use of the panel which is abysmal and the use of subs which is worse - bringing on young players with a minute left as has happened in the last 2 games is poor managment, not using all your subs in a game where multiple players are struggling and you need scores is poor management, sticking with fellas who have been around for 10 years and not performing is bad management - the middle 8 needs surgery to make it better, is there any other team in the country that expects one player colm o’callaghan to win wvery
Long kickout? Our 3 senior forwards have 1 point from play between them in 3 games…..this is obvious to so
Many of us what are they thinking at meetings? I know a team finds their level but getting relegated again for a lot of players for their second time will be soul destroying and surely result in further change on the line

Just a few comments on the game
Kick out strategy appalling
Waiting fore at least 5 minutes to introduce both Powter and Herlihy.
Late introduction of Sherlock
Selection of non scoring forwards no fault to the lads but there playing out of position.
We should never have to play under a kerry referee,first cavan black card was a definite sending off.
No Blake Murphy on the squad (Maybe Injured)
MCGuire looked spent by half time and had a very quiet game.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
SAL
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

28th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼