Blind optimism.

Was having a chat last night about a previous chat I had about oranges and satsumas (long story - turns out I didnt get the point across as eloquently as the night before). The conversation was about relationships and what not. We were all single. I was asking them if they think they will ever be the tragic, drunk, single auntie that comes around at Christmas, who lives alone and has lots of cats ( I of course am the drunken auntie as I have 5 of the little runts so ....).

One of the guys pipes up and said well maybe this is it for people our age ( he was slightly older). He was like well maybe this is it, maybe Im just too settled now in my own ways and it'll never happen.

Am I the only one that through blind optimism believes that only good things will happen to me. I mean in the sense of I'll not end up alone, I'll have a companion ( of human kind like) and I'll have lots of little Melons with mad heads of curly hair running around the gaff.

Im in for some land aren't I?

I've become very fatailstic about relationships and doubt that I'll ever end up with someone.

I've become too set in my ways and when I have tried to go out with people, their interruption on my lifestyle has killed the relationship. It's frustrating because I know that I should tough it out, but that's never obvious at the time.

I don't know if you're in for a hard land. I can't imagine you'll have much trouble attracting potential partners. Your problem could be if, like me, you become too fussy about what you expect.

watermelon said:
Was having a chat last night about a previous chat I had about oranges and satsumas (long story - turns out I didnt get the point across as eloquently as the night before). The conversation was about relationships and what not. We were all single. I was asking them if they think they will ever be the tragic, drunk, single auntie that comes around at Christmas, who lives alone and has lots of cats ( I of course am the drunken auntie as I have 5 of the little runts so ....).

One of the guys pipes up and said well maybe this is it for people our age ( he was slightly older). He was like well maybe this is it, maybe Im just too settled now in my own ways and it'll never happen.

Am I the only one that through blind optimism believes that only good things will happen to me. I mean in the sense of I'll not end up alone, I'll have a companion ( of human kind like) and I'll have lots of little Melons with mad heads of curly hair running around the gaff.

Im in for some land aren't I?
Well, you're a bit over the hill Melons. So yeah, it appears you'll be alone for eternity.

I think that exact same thing.

I always think that every thing will work out in the end. I don't know what gave me that impression cos nothing is written in stone when it comes to your life.
I was gona throw up a thread on this the other day but I didn't want to depress people so I left it off, but anyway, I was thinking. What if we had already met "the one" and let the relationship go for the sake of not wanting to try to make it work. For instance 2 or 3 year relationships. You live together. etc etc and after a while you realise you're not in love with them anymore and the fighting is constant so ye end it.
What if they were the one and you just didn't work hard enough at it. Should a relationship be such hard work in the first place?
I still like to think that there is someone else out there, cos honestly. even if an ex boyfriend was the one and only I don't think I'd be happy with that. If i'm gona spend my life with someone it better be someone I love more than any thing in the world.

Lets hope we haven't given up on "the one" already, cos thats just depressing. Everything will be grand. Sher we're only young uns.

Well, yesterday, funnily enough, I was thinking about how it'll work out. I was smiling away, quite relaxed in the knowledge that it'll work out and I'll be ok.

The conversation that melons was referring to about oranges and satsumas was me.
The other night, I was just pointing out that I've come to terms with the fact that I don't deserve to be happy any more than anyone else, even though I do think I should be happy.
But I was just saying that there's no guarantee, just because you might be a good person, nice, not horribly unattractive etc., that you won't end up alone.

I wasn't saying this is how I feel all the time, but rather that I do think about it, and that i'm being more realistic about the whole thing.

Melons was quite disturbed by our conversation.

I should add that this derived from me repeating a previous conversation about me working out a plan B.

Last edited:
D'oriel said:
Well, yesterday, funnily enough, I was thinking about how it'll work out. I was smiling away, quite relaxed in the knowledge that it'll work out and I'll be ok.

The conversation that emlons was referring to about oranges and satsumas was me.
The emlon affair?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Kidnapped (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:30pm

More events ▼