Memorable hurling matches

The Munster Final of 1984 was extra special in so many ways. Cork putting the nightmares of 82 / 83 lost finals behind them -- Tipp very improved from the previous decade of wandering in the wilderness. On top of all that it was the Centenary Year and all the ramifications that that signified. It was indeed a high powered game with hugely fluctuating fortunes so typical of so many Cork / Tipp battles. It surely was one of the sweetest victories for Cork that I can recall. My abiding memory however is that when the final whistle sounded, in the midst of all the bedlam that immediately ensued, I looked behind me and saw an elderly Tipp fan ( probably younger that I now am ) pale, wan, spent, and slumped in an end of life pose. On enquiry, he assured us that he'd be ok and would see us next year !
Oh to relive such wonderful times. May Sat night be the commencement a whole new raft of pleasures.

The Semi Final against Antrim in 1984 was one of the lowest attendances ever for a Championship match in Croke Park .

I really enjoyed the 2000 Munster Final win over Tipp for once with that team goals won the game for us.

The shakespeare, a blast from the past

Speaking of The Shakespeare remember Paddy The Piper leading those marches down O'Connell Street after Cork AI wins and all going into Heuston Station with a carry out from the Offie up near the Phoenix Park? Happy Happy Days

Speaking of The Shakespeare remember Paddy The Piper leading those marches down O'Connell Street after Cork AI wins and all going into Heuston Station with a carry out from the Offie up near the Phoenix Park? Happy Happy Days
I remember Paddy standing on the wall at the back of the city end, There was another great fan who had a book shop on shandon st,

I watched the 79 semi on tv, think we wore black shorts that day, I cried watching the 4 in a row slip away, they were a superb team but seemed a little jaded that day
R&B - it is said that Ring’s untimely passing earlier in ‘79 has a savage effect on the group. He really was the spiritual leader of that group off the back of the 3 in ‘78. He was also a massive sideline contributor and is said to have been one of the greatest readers of a game; let along playing exponent. Indeed I’ve heard it said that losing Ring so suddenly and at such a relatively young age was a blow that Cork have never really come back from. Make of that what you will. I should say that obviously this is meaningless in the greater scheme of things when you think he left a wife and young family behind.

R&B - it is said that Ring’s untimely passing earlier in ‘79 has a savage effect on the group. He really was the spiritual leader of that group off the back of the 3 in ‘78. He was also a massive sideline contributor and is said to have been one of the greatest readers of a game; let along playing exponent. Indeed I’ve heard it said that losing Ring so suddenly and at such a relatively young age was a blow that Cork have never really come back from. Make of that what you will. I should say that obviously this is meaningless in the greater scheme of things when you think he left a wife and young family behind.
"It's a sin to bury that man" as the poem goes 😕

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Aideen McQueen & Guests

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼