RTE: Radio, Telefis, Empty pockets

I wont claim to be fully up to speed on this whole saga but the general feeling is CM did well enough last night,
She comes across as a nervous speaker but media feel she did as well as could be expected, I watched virgin media last night and Matt Carthy
was scathing of what he said was the very disrespectful way she treated O Raghalaigh, But am i correct in saying ORaghallaigh lied twice to CM?

I wont claim to be fully up to speed on this whole saga but the general feeling is CM did well enough last night,
She comes across as a nervous speaker but media feel she did as well as could be expected, I watched virgin media last night and Matt Carthy
was scathing of what he said was the very disrespectful way she treated O Raghalaigh, But am i correct in saying ORaghallaigh lied twice to CM?
I guess O'Raghallaigh seems not to have been up to speed, don't think she deliberately misled, in fact afaik, she contacted the minister after to apologise for giving her incomplete or wrong information.

I didn't see the latest hearings but I was not impressed by O'Raghallaigh's performance in front of the committee a few months ago, I thought she didn't seem to know a whole lot about what was going on.

I think RTÉ/O'Raghallaigh were claiming the info was given to the department, along with 20,000 other documents a few months ago, but that's kind of beside the point.

The way the minister kicked her into touch was kind of clumsy, but it's understandable to me that her patience must have eventually run out.

I guess O'Raghallaigh seems not to have been up to speed, don't think she deliberately misled, in fact afaik, she contacted the minister after to apologise for giving her incomplete or wrong information.

I didn't see the latest hearings but I was not impressed by O'Raghallaigh's performance in front of the committee a few months ago, I thought she didn't seem to know a whole lot about what was going on.

I think RTÉ/O'Raghallaigh were claiming the info was given to the department, along with 20,000 other documents a few months ago, but that's kind of beside the point.

The way the minister kicked her into touch was kind of clumsy, but it's understandable to me that her patience must have eventually run out.
TBH she (SNiR) has never inspired me with confidence since this all started - very meek and kinda quiet, whereas the likes of Kevin Backhurst at least appears authoritative when speaking to the media and the committees. The Minister has little to pat herself on the back about either - and should have cancelled the Prime Time slot

Ni Raghallaigh had to go. If she had not resigned then she would probably have been fired. At best she seemed out of her depth. RTE went from bad to worse.

I think the government should abolish RTE and start again from scratch. Over the years RTE has become a national embarrassment. There seems to be a toxic culture that goes to the heart of the organisation. That toxic culture in any organisation comes from the top down. It comes from people at management levels. The only way you can fix that is by getting rid of all the existing management and changing the rules that govern the organisation. Starting from scratch with a new organisation is the best option.

The government cannot expect the public to pay the television licence fee for the terrible service that RTE delivers. A new organisation without the baggage attached to RTE is what is needed. Time for a fresh start.

Some dozy NUJ rep was being interviewed by one of her colleagues on one of RTÉ’s radio stations during the week. Essentially she was calling on government to fund RTÉ properly in order to protect public broadcasting jobs in RTE. I think RTÉ should be closed down in order to protect public service broadcasting.
RTÉ is past saving. It needs to be closed down.
This

Some dozy NUJ rep was being interviewed by one of her colleagues on one of RTÉ’s radio stations during the week. Essentially she was calling on government to fund RTÉ properly in order to protect public broadcasting. I think RTÉ should be closed down in order to protect public service broadcasting.
RTÉ is past saving. It needs to be closed down.

I read theyre touting Paul Reid as the new chair.

Lol, just shut the doors.

S ni R had to go I agree she was out of her depth anyhow alomg with her bad memory about who said what to who etc.
The new chair will probably organise a package for staff who will be gifted a share in the organisation. He will likely follow the model of the ESB where the staff have a share and it is in there best interestss to keep profit high hence big profits for their pension fund.
This will result in either a licence fee of 300 per year or more likely excher funding.
Staff will be happy and will give us more of their biased views when reporting or persons like david mccullagh roaring at interviews when people are trying to give their viewpoint.
RTE interviewers consider it more important to give their viewpoint ratger than the interviewee.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼