Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The opinion is right but I’m sorry now the last county to describe another as fragile is Galway, the most fragile outfit since 1990. Unbelievable underage talent that just crumbles under any pressure at adult level. A county that wins half of the minor All Ireland’s and win just an All Ireland once in a blue moon. The biggest chokers in hurling. And Joe is just another flake. Grand for him scoring in the Leinster championship against Westmeath & Laois.. And anyone here quoting the likes of him against Cork hurling should be ashamed of themselves.
Ah come off it ffs.

Here’s what I think a lot of people are missing. Win or loss changes were going to be made. Ryan spoke about the need to use the depth of the team considering the schedule. I’d say you were young to see 3 or 4 changed regardless of what happened. The fact that the oldest guys on the team are being persisted with is problematic.

A good start is absolutely key on Sunday.

You’ve nailed it here. Goes back to what Joe Canning said about Cork recently. Calling a group of players fragile is one of the worsts insults you can get. Unfortunately in recent years we’ve done nothing to disprove that.
Canning isn’t alone in calling Cork hurlers fragile. I’ve heard similar opinions from Jackie Tyrrell , Paul Murphy, James Skehill and Michael Verney. In fact, as we’re one of the so called “big 3” supporters of other counties relish our current predicament. Hopefully we’ll beat Clare tomorrow, and drive on!

Canning isn’t alone in calling Cork hurlers fragile. I’ve heard similar opinions from Jackie Tyrrell , Paul Murphy, James Skehill and Michael Verney. In fact, as we’re one of the so called “big 3” supporters of other counties relish our current predicament. Hopefully we’ll beat Clare tomorrow, and drive on!
Very true. And if you look at the last 15 years some of our worst losses have come against Galway. 2011, 2015 and 2022 spring to mind. Kilkenny never liked us and the fact we’ve become so weak has given them great pleasure in sticking the boot in.

Galway are by far the most fragile county in the country, the amount of times they have bottled it is unbelievable. 1 All Ireland in about 50 years and for 10 of those years they had Canning, one of the best of all time, they have bottled it over and over again and they even had a bye to the AI semi for another 50 years and still couldn't rack up All Irelands. For any Galway man to call another county is Fragile is hilarious!
There's nobody worse than Galway at being fragile, all those finals, 2018, 2012, even 1990 was outrageous, they have repeatedly been unable to get over the line and even in 2017 they barely made it over the line against a Waterford side that they were miles better than on paper.
Once again, there is nobody worse than Galway at being fragile.
Shefflin is finding that out the hard way, thinking he could go up there and sort it out with his Cody-isms, me bollox. Johnny Glynn being brought back to save the day, good luck 👍🏻

Galway are by far the most fragile county in the country, the amount of times they have bottled it is unbelievable. 1 All Ireland in about 50 years and for 10 of those years they had Canning, one of the best of all time, they have bottled it over and over again and they even had a bye to the AI semi for another 50 years and still couldn't rack up All Irelands. For any Galway man to call another county is Fragile is hilarious!
There's nobody worse than Galway at being fragile, all those finals, 2018, 2012, even 1990 was outrageous, they have repeatedly been unable to get over the line and even in 2017 they barely made it over the line against a Waterford side that they were miles better than on paper.
Once again, there is nobody worse than Galway at being fragile.
Shefflin is finding that out the hard way, thinking he could go up there and sort it out with his Cody-isms, me bollox. Johnny Glynn being brought back to save the day, good luck 👍🏻
Since 1980 Galway have 4 All Irelands. We have 6. We’re in no position to be looking down our noses at them. As was pointed out above plenty of Kilkenny lads have had a go at our brittle nature too.

Even look at last year's Leinster Final, an hilarious bottle job, the 2020 Leinster final another one, there is nobody worse than Galway at being fragile. With the teams and players they have had, and underage success, they have massively underachieved over the last 100 years, it runs deep in that county

The opinion is right but I’m sorry now the last county to describe another as fragile is Galway, the most fragile outfit since 1990. Unbelievable underage talent that just crumbles under any pressure at adult level. A county that wins half of the minor All Ireland’s and win just an All Ireland once in a blue moon. The biggest chokers in hurling. And Joe is just another flake. Grand for him scoring in the Leinster championship against Westmeath & Laois.. And anyone here quoting the likes of him against Cork hurling should be ashamed of themselves.
Missing the point by a mile, I'm afraid. Let's grant for the sake of argument that everything you've said about Galway and Canning is true (it's not, but anyway). That doesn't change the fact that Cork over the last fifteen-odd years have been fragile. Look at how they have exited the championship in that period: no-shows in 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2021; losing having gotten into strong positions in 2016, 2018 and 2019; losing tight games in 2009, 2020, 2022 and 2023 (against both Clare and Limerick). Even in 2013 Cork had a golden opportunity to win the drawn AI but didn't close it out.

Obviously any team can fail badly on the day, or blow a good position, or be edged out in a tight match. But it's happened repeatedly to Cork, too often to be just a string of coincidences imo.

I'd add that another sign of fragility is if a team is knocked back by a bad defeat. Of course it's impossible to be sure, but it looks to me that the defeats in 2014, 2018 and 2031 badly dented the confidence of those teams - in each case performance levels dipped noticeably the following season.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Punk Rock Factory
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

6th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼