Cork Hurlers - Part 2

As Sunday closes in I can't get away from the thought that we are walking into the perfect storm, we will be facing a team that are almost written off, even by their own supporters, a team led by the ultimate trickster who have nothing to lose and a huge amount to gain, in their own backyard. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess Davey's recent team talks. This could be the toughest test of the four games and is an awfully difficult start.
Granted the league game is a poor barometer but it is important to remember that when they did open up the hit eight unanswered scores and pretty much ripped us apart, and we had a strong team on the field.
I am hopeful that we have enough to come through this but I can't get away from the feeling that they are already looking up the road waiting for us to arrive. " Come in to my parlour,said the spider to the fly"

As Sunday closes in I can't get away from the thought that we are walking into the perfect storm, we will be facing a team that are almost written off, even by their own supporters, a team led by the ultimate trickster who have nothing to lose and a huge amount to gain, in their own backyard. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess Davey's recent team talks. This could be the toughest test of the four games and is an awfully difficult start.
Granted the league game is a poor barometer but it is important to remember that when they did open up the hit eight unanswered scores and pretty much ripped us apart, and we had a strong team on the field.
I am hopeful that we have enough to come through this but I can't get away from the feeling that they are already looking up the road waiting for us to arrive. " Come in to my parlour,said the spider to the fly"
I think this is true but if we are brave and bold with our selections, be brutal on the sideline with changes and stick to our own gameplan rather than let them set the tempo, I think we will have way too much quality for any waterford side davy can get firing.

Spot on. They have us lined up from a long way out. I hope to god we are ready for them

I'm really torn as to our readiness to be proper contenders this year. Just looking at the likely team it seems we still want to play some lads for their 2 or 3 point contribution but we're going to keep ignoring the stats around tackles, forwards tackles in particular, rucks etc. that are most closely linked to championship wins in the last few years.

Its been really interesting to watch back some of last years game again a year later and while we showed loads of character to stay in games til the end, it is easy to argue we were second best to Tipp, Clare and Limerick.

Dead balls in general are a bit below the best. Watching KK, Limerick, Clare, Galway - they are better on puc outs, frees and sidelines than Cork are. That's a huge chunk of the game there. Clare, Limerick, KK are better on that rabid tackling (and maintaining it for a full game) as refs start to leave the whistle in the pocket as the championship progresses.

While HB line looks much stronger, numbers 1 to 4 have question marks, I'm not sure we have that right yet.

So they're the concerns, and the reasons why I think we're a bit off those 3 (Limerick, KK, Clare) still. However...

I think we have the best centre back in the game at the moment - Conlon and Hannon are slowing down - Joyce is ready to rock and dominate games this summer. Coleman is back, and he is a top 10 player in the country when on form. The Downeys are going to step up a notch - they've learnt plenty over the last couple of seasons - they are big aggressive defenders with loads of hurling. Connolly is a massive danger and teams over-focusing on him will leave space to other danger men. Fitzgibbon and ROF are all-star type of players when they're in form also. We'll have real impact off our bench whatever the configuration.

Also, the fixtures favour Cork this year, that could be the difference. No Cusack Park or Gaelic Grounds. There's huge hunger within this panel and timing looks good in terms of age / experience / youth/ injuries etc.

Time to deliver now boys.
Fixtures fall nicely. Waterford will be stacked with players who are just back from injury. This is the game to meet them in.

Disagree about Coleman being a too 10 player in country. There is an argument that he doesn’t start Sunday

Teams will go after corks 2-4, and Rob Downey lacks pace at 7.

Spot on. They have us lined up from a long way out. I hope to god we are ready for them
Talking to a Waterford man, would know him a few years now living up here.
Always winding each other up.
Met him passing before the league game, he said he was going but he said 'I won't look into the result this weekend biy, tis all about April biy. I have it on good word from home Davy is only talking about April'

Met him passing before the league game, he said he was going but he said 'I won't look into the result this weekend biy, tis all about April biy. I have it on good word from home Davy is only talking about April'
They targeted Limerick in the first game last year and should've beaten them. They had some shocking wides that day. They'll be fired up big time no doubt but I also feel we will be out to prove a point to everybody.

Yeah, would imagine that to be true, Davy has placed all his eggs in one basket and is prepared to fall on his sword. However I'm sure PR had no intention of trying to win a league, and his focus was also on April 21st. So should they start the game like ravenous wolves it should come as no surprise to us, in fact we should and will expect it.
So basically whatever Waterford have planned for us will ultimately fail if we arrive with the correct attitude and play to our own strengths which I hope will be good enough.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Strangeways Club Night*

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼