The Hurling Thread

Anthony Daly in yesterday's Examiner suggesting Ciarán O'Regan was taking instruction from somebody other than the match appointed officials in making his decision on the first sending off in the Clonlara/Kiladangan game. Even wonders was he getting information from somebody who was watching playbacks of the incident.
Surely the rules currently don't allow anybody other than match officials decide on such incidents?

Anthony Daly in yesterday's Examiner suggesting Ciarán O'Regan was taking instruction from somebody other than the match appointed officials in making his decision on the first sending off in the Clonlara/Kiladangan game. Even wonders was he getting information from somebody who was watching playbacks of the incident.
Surely the rules currently don't allow anybody other than match officials decide on such incidents?
Not true, in the Dublin v Monaghan AI Semi final this year...a Dub player went for a point (just inside the 20m line from a tightish angle) at the hill16 end, it was ever so slightly deflected off a Monaghan's player hand and went wide....the umpire and linesman signalled wide. The attempt was then shown on the big screen...Sean Hurson (the ref) then put his hand to his ear to cup his earpiece and then signalled for a 45. He clearly got a message down from the stands.
The guy next to me in the pub was livid with the decision. He shouted "You cant use video evidence to overturn a decision". The 45 was taken and the Dubs had another point on the board.

He definitely spent an inordinate amount of time talking to someone and wrote enough notes to fill a book.

Not true, in the Dublin v Monaghan AI Semi final this year...a Dub player went for a point (just inside the 20m line from a tightish angle) at the hill16 end, it was ever so slightly deflected off a Monaghan's player hand and went wide....the umpire and linesman signalled wide. The attempt was then shown on the big screen...Sean Hurson (the ref) then put his hand to his ear to cup his earpiece and then signalled for a 45. He clearly got a message down from the stands.
The guy next to me in the pub was livid with the decision. He shouted "You cant use video evidence to overturn a decision". The 45 was taken and the Dubs had another point on the board.
Fair enough.
But I've never seen it in a club game before. And tbh I'd be uncomfortable as it's either allowed or it isn't. Surely we can't have a situation where some days some unknown in the stand or in a room watching a monitor is deciding on major incidents in a game. And other days there isn't.
That's all just too random.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I'm open to persuasion.

I believe Daly is correct in this regard and I spoke with a Tipp man who is adamant of same. O'Regan got the major calls correct though especially the sending off's but took far too much time in using the wire to make those decisions especially the first one. Can a referee take as much time as he likes once he stops his watch and adds on the time at the end or when it is not injury time can he decide not to add it on later? Ultimately he as the ref was making the decision after taking information from probably someone watching play backs so to answer your question I don't see him breaking any rules in this regard. IMO he has improved as a referee and applied the rules far more than the ref in the Na Piarsaigh v Ballygunner game.

The game in Limerick was like a free for all and refereed totally different to the 1st semi-final, this should not be the case as the sport is the same with the same rules and they should be applied in the same fashion with minimal difference. We are seeing this occurring continuously, Colm Lyons reffing the 2022 AI final and in turn reffing St. Finbarrs v Newtown a few weeks later as if he had a different set of rules at his disposal stands out in my mind. However it appears the powers that be wish to continue in this way to manipulate what they want, this is the main problem with officiating our games and the referees on the pitch have mainly taken the bait unfortunately instead of standing against it collectively.

Mauling an opponent and frontal charges without shoulder to shoulder contact should have no place in hurling but unfortunately they are huge factors of physicality in the so-called modern game. However Anthony Daly & Henry Shefflin among other pundits and ex players believe they should be part and parcel of the game to keep up the levels of physicality.

Ref is miced up to linesman and umpires. He may just have been talking with umpires rather than running all the way down to them

I think it was the first linesman he spoke to....He went to him first and did a lot of writing......then when chatting into the mic he was looking towards that sideline

I don't see how a ref in a club championship game who would have someone doing VAR for them....i just don't see it......what kind of setup would they need....who would be supplying it? the Ref?...Munster council?

How is it nonsense? We all saw how counties like Kilkenny reacted to the Cork players strike well documented by Nicky Brennan and Eddie Keher. Since then we have the likes of Henry Shefflin in denial saying the strike had nothing to do with Kilkenny even though the strike was a player welfare issue.
Stupid commentary - has it not dawned on you that nearly 20 years later that strike set Cork hurling back 2 decades. It was a bunch of players with huge egos wanting to run the affairs of the county instead of the county board. Hopefully we will never see a bunch like that again.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Sin É, Coburg St

11th Aug 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Souldriven

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼