No Dogs, No Blacks, No Irish

Just having an arguement about this with a feen who reckons he was in london in the late 60's and says the bollox about anti irishness was not true, he said the "No dogs no blacks no Irish" may have happened in the 50's but never happened in the 60's. He also said the irish never underpriced english workers on the building sites and maintained that all was rosie. The irish who struggled over there also struggled over here, scallies no matter where they were, they shuffled from the canal diggin to the pub to the grave.

Discuss

I disagree, but can I find any info on it on tinternet, can I fcuk!

help us out here fair proconians

mouldydrunk said:
Just having an arguement about this with a feen who reckons he was in london in the late 60's and says the bollox about anti irishness was not true, he said the "No dogs no blacks no Irish" may have happened in the 50's but never happened in the 60's. He also said the irish never underpriced english workers on the building sites and maintained that all was rosie. The irish who struggled over there also struggled over here, scallies no matter where they were, they shuffled from the canal diggin to the pub to the grave.

Discuss

I disagree, but can I find any info on it on tinternet, can I fcuk!

help us out here fair proconians

big diff between the late 60's i.e. 69 and the early 60's i.e. 61 my grandparents married there in 62 and there was a fair amount of crap going on at that stage with the old fella being irish

Ginfizwithatwist said:
Did you know that telephone calls home from England in the mid 70's were more often than not tapped?

Even in the late 80's, we were getting stick after getting off the boat. The bigotry was blatant in a lot of bars and clubs then too ...... got into too much trouble defending "my people" ....... especially from DJs who would spend the night dissing the thick orish paddie. Funny though, usually after our altercations (fistfully setting the facts straight) at the end of the night, our friendly DJ would say that he was part Irish as his grandfather came over in the boat too.

But overall though, I liked the Brits in general.

My Dad was brought up in London in the 50s and 60s .
To be fair he said he never had much trouble besides the odd playground scrap after being called paddy or something . He reckons being called paddy was just the nearest insult to hand. When someone didnt know he was Irish they would just as easy call him a ginger bollix . Kids can be cruel that way .
By in large he reckons his whole time spent in blighty (18 years ) was generally grand .

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Sweet East (NC)
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

1st May 2024 @ 6:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼