Ironman Youghal.

I tend to avoid the touchy subject, but sur fuck it here goes.

I'm not even going to touch on the TI/Ironman liability debacle - that's an absolute minefield. I wasn't there on the day and have only seen the same videos so as for whether it should/shouldn't have gone ahead I can't say. I will say that I have swam in triathlons in worse sea conditions that that, but the swim started within the confines of a harbour (Barna in Galway for anybody familiar) so we didn't have the breaking waves to contend with - just the swell. For weaker swimmers (if you can call people who have trained for 3.8k weak!) - that would have been quite challenging.

At the end of the day, every single person who got in the water that day had a choice not to. We all have responsibility for our own actions, and one persons easy swim in the swell is anothers 'nope, absolutely the fuck not'.

I'd also question why anybody would enter the ironman in youghal - has it ever run the full course without some major rain/storm affecting it - the course was shortened a few years back if I recall as well. If I was going to do an Ironman - I'd be damn sure picking a location where the weather is somewhat more predictable - if I'm going to do it, it's going to be the full course or bust. I'm sorry folks, but if you've finished an Ironman on a shortened course, then you haven't done an Ironman. Nobody in Youghal finished an Ironman distance race this year - the poor fuckers :lol!:

I agree with a lot of your points.

Tbf.. Covid did hamper it.

First year the swim was cancelled... It went on and on.

I tend to avoid the touchy subject, but sur fuck it here goes.

I'm not even going to touch on the TI/Ironman liability debacle - that's an absolute minefield. I wasn't there on the day and have only seen the same videos so as for whether it should/shouldn't have gone ahead I can't say. I will say that I have swam in triathlons in worse sea conditions that that, but the swim started within the confines of a harbour (Barna in Galway for anybody familiar) so we didn't have the breaking waves to contend with - just the swell. For weaker swimmers (if you can call people who have trained for 3.8k weak!) - that would have been quite challenging.

At the end of the day, every single person who got in the water that day had a choice not to. We all have responsibility for our own actions, and one persons easy swim in the swell is anothers 'nope, absolutely the fuck not'.

I'd also question why anybody would enter the ironman in youghal - has it ever run the full course without some major rain/storm affecting it - the course was shortened a few years back if I recall as well. If I was going to do an Ironman - I'd be damn sure picking a location where the weather is somewhat more predictable - if I'm going to do it, it's going to be the full course or bust. I'm sorry folks, but if you've finished an Ironman on a shortened course, then you haven't done an Ironman. Nobody in Youghal finished an Ironman distance race this year - the poor fuckers :lol!:

My first sprint was there and the water was bloody miserable.

750 metres.

I've raced in Youghal as well - might even have been the same one as yourself - I think it was the first year the race was run. Even then, swim turned out to be about 450 because of weather, and even at that, the swell washed us all onto the beach after 100m or so, just ended up running the beach instead!!

Kenmare/The Lost Sheep is an absolute peach of a race - even doing that cycle is a pleasure - you sure earn those views as you come over the Healy Pass!

I'm sticking to mountain biking these days - cross country and enduro downhilly stuff - far safer than the triathlons and road stuff imo - only myself to blame if I plough into a tree :-D

Wasn't it Youghal where Chris Boardman crashed out of the Tour De France and broke his arm, taking some girl out in the process?

The place is just cursed like

I've raced in Youghal as well - might even have been the same one as yourself - I think it was the first year the race was run. Even then, swim turned out to be about 450 because of weather, and even at that, the swell washed us all onto the beach after 100m or so, just ended up running the beach instead!!

Kenmare/The Lost Sheep is an absolute peach of a race - even doing that cycle is a pleasure - you sure earn those views as you come over the Healy Pass!

I'm sticking to mountain biking these days - cross country and enduro downhilly stuff - far safer than the triathlons and road stuff imo - only myself to blame if I plough into a tree :-D

Out around the boat and back.

Terrible place for swimming.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Live Forever - The Definitive Oasis Tribute
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

22nd Dec 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Chancers Comedy Club

The Alibi Bar And Kitchen, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼